Rate Thread
#272555 Apr 5th, 2009 at 08:06 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I have a little business where I go to folks gardens and teach them to grow veggies. (Going well, by the way.) One of the things I do is for them is lay out their garden, and I always do so in companion-fashion. (this part is so much fun!) Putting compatible veggies together, or veggies and flowers together is easy.

But here's my question: Some plants are NOT compatible. For example, tomatoes and potatoes. If my client's gardens' are large enough, I make sure these will be planted as far apart as possible. But some folks have tighter spaces, and I'm wondering how far apart is far enough? I try to be creative and encourage them to use spaces they hadn't thought about using for veggies, but the fact remains that some folks just don't have a lot of space, and still want to grow incompatible veggies.

I have looked everywhere and am not finding an answer to this question. I'm especially interested in the spacing relationships between

beans & onions

corn & tomatoes

brassicas & beans

brassicas & nightshades

Any thoughts / experiences are appreciated!

Marica

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #272578 Apr 5th, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
good question and one i'd like the answer to also! i'll be watching to see how that goes.

#274183 Apr 13th, 2009 at 08:15 AM
There are no hard fast rules as to how many inches things need to be away from each other. Companion planting is a concept that comes from practice, not science. People find certain combination of vegetables that seem to do better, but it could simply be that those plants have similar needs and both benefit from that need being met that season (similar light, soil pH, watering pattern, heat, bugs present, worms, lack of common pest).

Last edited by Adrien; Apr 13th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,900
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image