Rate Thread
#274223 Apr 13th, 2009 at 01:48 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
This is our new doggie! Poor little guy had been living in a culvert up near the hwy. We had been seeing him for a couple of weeks pop his head in and out when we'd drive by. Hubby finally coaxed him out. He smelt of dead fish and the kids were calling him 'Fish'. We bathed him, then I started calling him 'Ditchy' since he was living in a ditch and 'culvert' just didn't sound right. He seems like he's going to be a great dog! He's half the size of our labs already and still has all his baby teeth.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
He looks sweet, Cricket. i like ditchy for a name.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Cricket--Bless you for savng him--he is sure a sweet looking "puppy".

I think the name "Ditchy" suits him well.---he seems all settled in, so good for him and for all of you.... thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
thanks guys. can you believe he has not messed with those plants on the porch or any of my flower beds? I was even in the garden the other day and left the gate open. he followed me over there and layed down right outside the gate but never once came in!
he's pretty healthy looking too. he must have been one great hunter - living on lizards or whatever. he's a little narrow in the 'hamhocks' but his belly wasn't all shrunken in, or ribs sticking out. his little gums are nice and pink too and his ears are clear. I'm wondering if he didn't get a set of shots before he got dumped or lost? what do you do about giving a stray dog shots if you don't know he's had them or not? anyone know?
he looks like he has a bit of lab in him, maybe some boxer, and probably some healer because of the coloration on his nose and feet.

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
what do you do about giving a stray dog shots if you don't know he's had them or not? anyone know?
he looks like he has a bit of lab in him, maybe some boxer, and probably some healer because of the coloration on his nose and feet.

I seem to remember we had that p[roblem with a stray cat we had once4.--call your usual vet----he may just go ahead and give him 1 year shots and go from there--unless he determines that he is a young guy and then he may wait, and begin with baby shots. He does look very healthy I will say---

________

500 Posts
500 Posts
If he is about a year old the vet will
just give him rabie shot.If he is young still
then puppy shot's.he is a very nice looking dog
I bet he is happy to have a family to give him love

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
the last thing in the world we need right now is another dog, but he had NO home. and from the first time I looked at him I just fell in love.
the kids are constantly playing with him, but anywhere I go, he goes. he has really taken up with me as much as I have him.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
the last thing in the world we need right now is another dog, but he had NO home. and from the first time I looked at him I just fell in love.
the kids are constantly playing with him, but anywhere I go, he goes. he has really taken up with me as much as I have him.

He knows who butters his bread. Sounds like a lovely companion.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
500 Posts
500 Posts

You have done a good thing, to adopt him. It's very hard to resist them when they are in need of a home. I hope it works out well.

Eternity
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
He's a cute puppy.

We had a dog, Major, that was thrown from a car and he was the best dog ever. Never ran away or bothered anything. We had him 4 years and we found him dead in the yard 2 years ago. The vet said he may have had a heart attack. He was appreciative for everything. We could really tell. He would wag his tail and get all happy for the least little thing.

Now we have a cat, Lizzy, that Johnny brought home from a dumpster. She's a great cat. (don't ask the birds)

Rescue animals make wonderful friends and Ditchy is the perfect name.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes, I wanted to take in a dog recently; after our recent fires, many pets had lost their owners. I checked with my wife and girls, but as we already have 2 rescue cats and 2 rabbits, the consensus was that we have enough animals. I do love dogs; they are so much more responsive than cats.

Eternity
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
several years ago we had a cat named Pork Chop. he got that name because we already had a dog that had eaten a few cats in the past, along with squirrels, rabbits, ect. pork chop wasn't a stray, more like a bad decision. hubby had a few too many beers with a neighbor that had a cat with kittens and ended up bringing one home that night. anyway, the kids fell in love with him so we couldn't just get rid of him. I can't stand a cat inside the house so we wished him well, put him outside, and named him pork chop. he hid out under our porch for 3 days. drove our dog battty! but slowly they became friends. he was the coolest cat! I love to grill and any time I started up the pit he'd come hang out right underneath it. he never begged for food either. SO, of course since he didn't beg I always had a nice big chunck of whatever I was cooking for him. we only had him a little over a year. as he got older and the hormones took over, he and another neighbors male cat couldn't find a happy medium with territory. (stupid cats! we have 10 acres and the neighbor has 5???!!!) he came home muddy and chewed up several times from fighting. and then one day never came back at all. poor little guy. I sure miss him.

Last edited by cricket; Apr 15th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

Cricket

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cricket, we rescued a cat a while back, I posted pictures on here, and he left and was gone seven months, then came back. Now he's been gone a few years. Lizzy is always around the house.

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
it would be nice to think our little pork chop just decided to find a new home, and didin't get chewed up. you just never know with cats.

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes do not dispair--Our Tigger left & was gone well over a year--then one day juat came strolling back like he had been gone for the morning---

________

500 Posts
500 Posts
You know, it's tough being a cat. You have to think about eating, sleeping, walking, sleeping, eating, and then a bit of sleeping. And then the next day, you have to do it all again. I don't know how they manage it!

Eternity
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
haha
and lets not forget the time it takes to be snooty and snotty! nono

Cricket

500 Posts
500 Posts
shots Yes, you are right! That sort of disdain takes a lot of effort.

Eternity

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image