Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275119 Apr 18th, 2009 at 07:07 AM
meha Offline OP
OP Offline
i have this one and i really dont know how to care for it but it is doing ok i think but the soil is very hard do i need to repot it or just loosen it up so or just leave it alone

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Apr 18th, 2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: fixed subject line

mary wiley
meha #275144 Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:30 AM
I am hoping for a reply to this as well.. I have 2 .. 1 has done beautiful and has bloomed a few times now over the 2 years I have had it .. the other hasn't done a thing .. it's no bigger and if you ask me dosn't have 1 more leaf then when I got it 2+ years ago and I'm not doing anything differently with it..

Sometimes you just have to put on your big girl panties and deal with it
newbie_kas #275149 Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
here is some information I found---

cactus - Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Twilight Tangerine

Holiday cactus like a rich soil that is kept evenly moist. (there are special cactus soils that can be bought) Fertilize every 2 weeks from spring thtu August.
These cacti are photoperiodic: The day length determines when they when they will bloom They need long nights and short days in order to blossom.

Provide about 14 hours of continual darkness in every 24 hours period starting 8 weeks before you want them to bloom. The plant can be covered to provide the needed amount of darkness. filtered or indirect light. Evenly moist

I have no idea what the words in blue are really suppose to say, this is exactly as it was at the place in a book that I found it for you. I am thinking it is missing some line of thought. Sorry

I hope this information helps at least some. Good luck thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #275547 Apr 19th, 2009 at 06:57 PM
I HAVE 2 THAT ARE UNDER MY PATIO. THEY GET LIGHT BUT NOT DIRECT SUNLIGHT. 1 OF THE 2 FLOWERED LIKE CRAZY JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS. THE OTHER DID NOT GROW A INCH. I USED SOIL FOR CATCUS, WHEN I WATER I ADD 5 DROPS PER 20 0UNCE BOTTLE. TODAY I HAVE THE BLOWER GETTING RED TIPS ON THE END. THE OTHER PLANT IS STILL THE SAME SIZE. WHEN THE DRY OUT I WATER BOTH OF THEM.

JunieGirl #275548 Apr 19th, 2009 at 06:58 PM
I HAVE 2 THAT ARE UNDER MY PATIO. THEY GET LIGHT BUT NOT DIRECT SUNLIGHT. 1 OF THE 2 FLOWERED LIKE CRAZY JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS. THE OTHER DID NOT GROW A INCH. I USED SOIL FOR CATCUS, WHEN I WATER I ADD 5 DROPS PER 20 0UNCE BOTTLE. TODAY I HAVE THE BLOMER GETTING RED TIPS ON THE END. THE OTHER PLANT IS STILL THE SAME SIZE. WHEN THE DRY OUT I WATER BOTH OF THEM.

gatekeeper #275568 Apr 20th, 2009 at 01:00 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Quote (WHEN I WATER I ADD 5 DROPS PER 20 0UNCE BOTTLE) unquote

Please explain the above sentance--do you mean you add 5 drops of fertilizer for each 20 oz of water???--and if so what kind of fertilizer do you use??//

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #275630 Apr 20th, 2009 at 02:45 PM
Mine gets fed only once a year with a mixture of three tablespoons of
fish emulsion plant food
[Linked Image]

to a two quart pitcher of rain water, and applying about a quart of this cocktail to the
pot so as to avoid leaching the potting mix's nutrients out the drain and slowly add more until I see it coming out the bottom.
[Linked Image]

This size of pot can generally takes a quart of water every other month during the dry winter months indoors.

[Linked Image]

This beauty's thirty one fears old this year and sits by a screened south facing patio door. I keep it outdoors during the summer under the shade of a maple tree.

Good luck with yours!

neko nomad #276658 Apr 25th, 2009 at 04:50 PM
I have about 8 different color Christmas cactus and leave them outside all summer and bring them in the house in the fall.

Ray

[Linked Image from wilsoninfo.com]

Ray from Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image