Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275113 Apr 18th, 2009 at 06:45 AM
Gabe100 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was given a huge rubber tree more than a year ago and I love it. But it seems to be dying and I don't know why. Let me just tell you right off that I am no gardener and don't really know what I'm doing. I water it about once a week and keep i where it gets plenty of light but not too much direct sunlight. but lately the leaves have all started to droop and then turn brown and fall off. I also noticed that the soil does not seem to hold the water when I do my watering. All the water just seems to run right through and out the other end. I don't know what to do and I really don't want to lose this plant. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

My first thought is to re-pot it with some good soil. How long has the soil been in there?

ellee #275218 Apr 18th, 2009 at 04:13 PM
Gabe100 Offline OP
OP Offline
the soil has been in there at least as long as I've had it which is about a year and a half and who knows how long before that. I've heard that rubber trees don't particularly like being re-potted but I really have no idea, like I said before, I'm not much of a gardener.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Gabe100
here is a link from the garden helper..

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/rubberplant.htm

I had a rubber tree for 4 years in the same pot,, If the water is running right thru it it could mean that the soil is soooooooo dry it does hold water,, IF that is the case Water it until the water stops draining then you know you have enough water,,
Transplanting with new soil shouldn't be a problem,, I just transplanted mine a few weeks ago I used 1/2 cactus and succulent mix,, with 1/2 regular potting soil . And it's doing fine,
I take mine outside every spring thru fall ~ morning sun afternoon shade Because it's so hot here in Tx it wouldn't handle the afternoon sun.
Every time I take it outside I lose a few leaves,, as well as bringing it in for the winter.
Mine got over 7 foot tall,, 2 years ago I cut the top off and put the cutting right back into the soil and it took root ,
A few weeks ago it was over 8 ft tall I cut off two stocks at the top . repotted it and put the cut stocks back into the soil and they and the entire plant is doing fine,,
I would Propose IF you feel the soil has gone 'bad" go ahead and repot it using the 1/2 and 1/2 mix as mentioned above, spring is a good time to do that,,!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image