Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275142 Apr 18th, 2009 at 10:54 AM
OP Offline
The flower itself died off about a month ago.. I still have these crazy long green leaves growing from the bulb.. would love to try forcing it to bloom again .. how do I go about this?

Sometimes you just have to put on your big girl panties and deal with it
newbie_kas #275386 Apr 19th, 2009 at 08:56 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I have 10 Armarylis, I love them. I followed the standard instructions of...

Sun water as normal all summer in Fall put the plant in a dark closet kept cool for 2 months bring it out water lightly and when you see leaves growing water a little more and you will have blooms for christmas. That did not work for me never got a flower again.

What I learned for my growing conditions. In my climate zone. I do not get a lot of sun for long growing time. (june-Sept) The leaves feed the plant to bloom. So those leaves needed a longer period to feed the bulb to bloom.

I treat mine as a house plant and let it tell me when it is ready to rest.
June
I put it outside in June in a sunny place water and feed 1/2 strength fert every week.
Sept
I bring it inside and put it in a sunny window and continue to water. Usually about the end of Dec it starts to lose its leaves. I cut back on watering. When all the leaves are gone I do not water again until I see leaves start to emerge again. Mine bloom in Feb-April. I do not mind that because it is when I really need to see a flower in the dead of winter.

Regardless of how you grow this plant remember it needs those leaves to bloom again. I heard people say after it bloomed they put it in a closet and did not know why it never blooms. I think people concentrate on putting this plant to sleep instead of growing the plant. More leaves I have kept alive the more blooms I get out of the bulb when it does bloom.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #275387 Apr 19th, 2009 at 09:11 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
OH and those crazy green leaves that are feeding that beautiful bloom you will get try to keep them green and growing. I stake them up until I can get it outside and growing so I will have 5 flowers in the winter. Instead of one big beautiful flower. LOL

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,886
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image