Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275461 Apr 19th, 2009 at 01:48 PM
cyw Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellow gardeners, We have survived another winter, however, I'm not sure my featured rhody faired well. We have 2 new dogs that joined our family this winter. They love sticks. Did you know that a rhody in a snow bank in the depths of winter appears to supply great chew sticks? I didn't either until I observed the dogs happily snapping off the "sticks". The "boys" now know that the rhody is not a stick holder, but the damage is done.

I've pruned the worse sections and noticed the multitude of buds from last fall are missing. My guess is that the plant dropped the buds because it was stressed. The other possiblitiy is that the dogs ate each bud, but not the leaves. Not very likely.

I'm sure it won't bloom this year, but wonder if there is anything I can do to nurture it back to it's previous healthy life.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer. cyw

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, cyw.
I haven't a clue as to how to treat rhodies. They will not grow in my area because of heat. I am sorry you may have missed this year's flower season. I'm thinking with your trimming of the chewed ends that you may have done all you could for it at this time.
But I so enjoyed your writing style in the telling of the tale. I wanted to welcome you and tell you that I got a nice laugh from your post.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
cyw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for saying you enjoyed my writing style. Just like everything else in life, you have a choice to laugh or cry. When my dogs ate my prized rhody, laughing made it easier. (And the fact that my husband had a fence up before I got home.)

As in all things, I have to to ask the question "did anyone die?" if the anwser is no, then it's not that bad. Besides, now I have a rhody that will be perfect for a new Dr. Seuss movie.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Great additude! Welcome to the forum! wavy

I also am glad nobody died through misadventure w/ your Prize Rhody. And ya just gotta love something which looks pitiful enough to be featured in Dr. Seuss! lol

Keep babying it and hopefully it'll come back for you. Have you any pictures?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image