Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
it's Very wet soil here too Cricket,, No mowing grass here for me either,, But I will do some gardening,, I have plants to get in ground, and I need to spray the foliage of roses they are starting to get black spot from all the rain,, I can sure tell when spring is here in Tx for the roses Black Spot egad ,, every early spring,, and the spider mites start appearing, tapfoot ,
I just finished baking a golden butter cake, letting it cool, and going to go start the round steak, Then I'll go outside for a couple of hours,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
the sun is out here now. I'm hoping it will dry up enough to plant or transplant something here. I'm trying to talk hubby into going to the grocery store today. I sure don't feel like dealing with that today.
I finally got my sewing machine back out last night. I'm almost done with the 'sew me up, I have a rip in me' pile!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We are a whopping 51 degrees here today, Cricket! A vertible heat wave!

Hey! Anybody remember the song?

"We're having a heat wave! A tropical heat wave!
The temperature's rising, it isn't surprising!"

Of course, that was about a girl doing the Can-Can, but I always sing it when it starts to warm up around here! lol

I'm sorry you are having such a boggy experience in your yard. That can be a real problem up here as well with all the melting snow and ice... we get all the waterways flooding and the ground, already soaked with snowmelt, can only take so much.

The runoff ponds seem really high this year.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
when I was in town yesterday we had some minor street flooding. only a few inches, maybe as much as 6-8 in some spots. but, it was on several roads that don't normally hold water.
I took, what I thougt, was some awesome pic's of my daughter late afternoon yesterday as the sun was setting. she was playing barefooted in her holes in the knees jeans, in the 'stream' of water flowing along the sides of the driveway and across the gravel driveway. the puppy was out there with her playing in it too and the sun was setting. it was beautiful to the eye, but my poor ole' camera just could not capture the mood. don't you hate that?

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes! I hate it when a photo can't capture the essence of a scene. As described, your photo should have been TERRIFIC! I'm so sorry it was not!

Maxi is going to try to get some close-ups of our Easter Lilies today. I hope he can get nice clear shots so we can post some.

Right now though he is off playing with his buddy Dominic. It is too fine of a day to be indoors especially since they are off from school!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning everyone,
I have been watching the original Flight of the Phoenix with Jimmy Stewart this morning- love old movies...it's almost over now... Mom was up early today so she is going to be headed for shower soon too- not that I tell her till it's ready-
We woke up to sunshine this morning- and melting snow all over... supposed to be almost 80* by Thurs... it's melting fast now- and our sump pump has been going since yesterday afternoon...
Well off to see to set up the heater in the bathroom... then I have bedding to wash and who know what else I can get up to...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Nana! I'm glad you are in a melting world today. The warmth is coming!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Yeah! I talked hubby into going to the grocery store.

I saw at the dollar store the other day some pretty little plastic stone-looking markers with the name of various herbs on them. I almost bought a few, but then saw they were 2 bucks a piece. I remembered all the broken flagstone (sp?) we have around here and figured I'd just make my own. I made four out of the flat stones and one out of a broken brick. they are not as pretty as the ones in the store, but still pretty neat looking.
now, to go get some more stones. (I'm still piddling today when I should be cleaning this dirty old house!) ha ha

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Like everyone else, Cricket, it is easy to feel torn between in-house work and outdoor things when the weather starts getting nice. I say write on your stones and enjoy puttering outside just because you can. The house will wait for a nasty day! lol That is the true truth about housework: there will always be more to do and what you accomplish today will need done yet again soon enough!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you got that right! you should see the entry way that I mopped yesterday. It would be a stretch of the imagination to say it looks slightly better than before. why mop with kids and dogs and rainy days? I have a yard full of neighbor kids today. normally I'd lock the doors on them so they can't come in and out (mean ole' cricket) but it's too nice to have the doors and windows shut. I keep stopping them at the door asking what do you need? don't come in. I'll bring you a glass of water. here's some toilit paper and theres the woods. ha ha. just kidding about that last part!

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Like many people who live in Maine, we have a "shoes off" policy for coming in the house.

In the summer there is way too much sand to be dragged in. During spring and fall, it is mud. In winter, it is road sand/salt/snow.

I keep a tray by the door made from a cut down rectangular laundry basket. Wet boots/shoes go in there to drip and dry. The basket catches the mess.

Maxi fills up a big water bottle or jug with ice and water (or the drink of the day) and takes it out and leaves it on the porch just so's he doesn't have to come in to get a drink!

So, mostly, he only comes in for potty breaks. Unless they are playing with squirt guns. Our complex has no outdoor water supply so the guns have to be refilled inside. And then talk about the mess! A Water Trail Runs Through It. I could write a book! yikes

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
maybe you could get another jug of water or large bowl for water gun fill up?
yes, we do the no shoes in the house too. we don't have a nifty basket like you were describing, though. that would certainly help.

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well Cricket you know those large plastic rectangular laundry baskets? The sides always break on them after much use. So the last time that happened, I simply cut the sides down to about 6 inches tall all the way around. Et Voila! A mud and yuck catcher for wet footwear!

Yeah, sometimes he tries to lug water out in a bucket to refill the guns. It would work if the guns were smaller and could be submerged. But the kids here all use those giant guns and fill them from the tub faucet as they do not usually fit into the sinks!

Oh to have a hose again!

I'D get out there and shower them all down with it! lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you could get one of those attachments that go from the kitchen faucet to a hose. then hang the hose out a window? ha ha.
a neighbor is down visiting with hubby and I'm getting a kick outta hubby trying to explain why the marigolds in the garden and companion planting. ha ha. he's pretty close with his explaination. you can tell he listens to about half of what I say! ha ha

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
You must be proud of him for remembering, Cricket! Nice work, Ms. Wife!! lol

I tried to take a nap but I got too cold and had to pee. I did dream that Maxi had come home, so I got up calling for him. Just slept enough to have an odd dream; not enough to do me any good.

I better make some Red rose Tea.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
the tea will do you good.
I'm about to start on the chili for tonight's supper. wanna get it over and done with. we have crackers and cheese and i'll heat up some hot dogs in case anyone wants a dog.
while I had the sewing machine out earlier mending cloths, I decided to make a veggie gathering bag out of a tank top. it got too small for me and I was gonna alter for my daughter. she didn't like the color so I made a nifty bag. I think I'll try it out now. need to go pick one small bell pep, one sm ban pep, some oregano, cilantro, and onion tops. the bag is way too big for this small 'harvest' but it will be fun using my newly made bag anyway! ha ha

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good for you, Cricket!

I like keeping my machine handy for such little projects as that. They are a snap to make when everything is ready and then so fun to use!

It is nice that you can be harvesting already.

We like Chili around here, too. If we didn't already have the Strata ready to go, I'd be a-begging with my bowl for your chili! lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
Today is the last day of spring break for me. I better get ready for school.I have to go to sleep early for the next two weeks because of state testing.

Waiting for fall...
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I hope you enjoyed your Break, Enrique. Maxi's break is all this coming week, so he is home.

I think they finished the state testing for the year already. It is never fun and I'll be thinking of you during that time.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by emdeGardener2
Today is the last day of spring break for me. I better get ready for school.I have to go to sleep early for the next two weeks because of state testing.

teach So, Enrique.....are your school shoes clean and dry?....do you know where your back pack is?....do you need a lunch check?.....make sure you shower with soap AND shampoo tonight!....do you know what your gonna wear?...is it clean???....... haha...oh sorry. notme....just habbit.

my 'harvesting' bag worked out great. I realized though it would be nice to have a seperate pocket for herbs and some loops for scizzors. I have those additions to my bag project laying out and will sew those on tonight before I put the machine back up.

boy, I'm just having a cricket-be-creative-and-do-what-ever-you-want-to day! thumbup

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
and I won't even comment on the state testing! touched rolz

Cricket

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
I got some house stuff done and took a nap while my Mom was at my sis's... we listening to the weather and he just said we went from being -7% under for our moisture levels to 12% above now... thats a lot of snow we got! It is all melting here- sounds like a river going down our hill- sure wish we could trap some of it but it's illegal here to use rainwater,,, dumb if you ask me... !
we do shovel as much as we can onto the grass and under the trees... our grass is really green now too - the part that is showing...

Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of Columbine, lots of ceremonies to mark it and the school is closed tomorrow, there is a candlelight vigil at the memorial tonight... our thoughts and prayers will be with them tonight...

Well off to make some dinner...
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad you are over your drought line, Nana. I also have issues with not being able to capture some rainwater. I don't think the average rain barrel or two is going to change the wonderful natural landscape so much. I think the law stems from big concerns trapping the water and really changing things. And most states have laws that do protect us from the big ranchers and farmers and industries over using or storing water needed downstream.

Columbine was a sad story. And it continues to this day to be.
But it sounds like you got some rest and some better weather to look forward to this week as well.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
just popping in to say good bye for the day, and wish everyone a great week!

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm toddling off to bed myself. Maxi has been asleep for nearly an hour already. I'm cold and tired, so it's time to call it done.

Safe away home O my palies and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I know I have not been around much lately guys and for that I am sorry----

but for tonight, I will say good night to you all and have a great day tomorrow----

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good night everyone.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning everybody!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Good Morning Everyone,
The sun is out... it's warmer today already than it has been for the last few days... Yay! rest of the snow is melting away-feels nice..
Coffee is ready too, have some baked donuts and muffins here to share- there is some strawberries to and choc melted for dipping if you like.... eggs made any way you want them too and of course toast- biscuits - bacon,sausage,ham.... lots of veggies ready for omelets too- tea is under the cozys.... take a deep breath and have a bite....
I will have boys in a an hour or so so have to get my shower done doon back in a while.....
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
gee nana I'll have some tea & strawberries----perhpas some nice warm toast---

and I am glad everyone is well and your snow is on its way to being gone---

today I have Drs appointment--to check on the pneumonia----and i think I am going to have my DD stop so we can do the grocery shopping for the week as well-
what is everyone else up to today???

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well gee, I just got some news. My girl didn't show up this morning and so I called the agency. They called to find her. Found out she QUIT!

Good thing Maxi was here to help me get things together this morning. They are sending someone else for just a little while before I leave for dialysis. And they said they'd have someone else for tomorrow. So now our lives are in chaos and I hope they send someone good.

This is the pits. She knew she was leaving for another job and never said a word!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yea, that's just wrong. I can see waiting a while and not saying anything. just to make sure you definitly have the new job. but you can't just not show up, then btw I quit.
funny story! while I was paying bills the other day I decided to open the bank statement from my old job's credit union. I opened that acct LONG ago when we were compairing loan rates to buy a vehicle. the credit union would't figure the rate and run my credit until I opened a savings acct with them. it was only 25 dollars to open the acct so I did. then, we ended up getting a lower rate through someone else. I never closed out the acct. they wouldn't let me do it over the phone and I just never had the ambition to spend my entire lunch hour driving to the bank to get 25 bucks back. I've been just filing the statements or tossing them when they come in. I DID open it this time and I now have 311.24 in there! ha ha. I believe its time to get that money out now!

Cricket

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Nice little acct there Cricket- I did something like that when we left AZ... forgot I had and old acct at a bank that we closed out the checking in when we moved- I finally remembered it a couple yrs ago came in handy-- wasn't a lot but every little bit helps...
The boys should be here any minute... got Mom having breakfast...cleaned up my kitchen... now will mess it up again when I feed the boys....oh well!
Merme- sounds like you will have some training to do of the new person they send you- hopefully this one will be smarter and more reliable for you.
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have my fingers crossed that you will get a girl worth her salt, Merme. Be gentle on her.
We left an account with a few dollars in it when we moved back in the mid-70's because my ex was worried that there might be something outstanding. His accounting practices were lacking. It made a nice plump addition to my vacation funds a year or so later.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Merme---sorry about losing your girl--I hope the new one is a good one.

Cricket---congratualtions on the "found money".

Jonni---good morning to you----and that was nice that youhad some found money come to you as well... thumbup

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Be gentle on her.

Excuse me?! What in the heck is THAT supposed to mean?

It wouldn't occur to me to be anything but very good to my attendants.

I am not now and I never have been a bully.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Apr 20th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I was teasing, Merme.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
it would be hard for me to go into another new attendant relationship after all the bad you've had with them merme, and not have a bit off 'what are you gonna screw up today attitude'. your better than most of us, merm!

well, good evening everyone. we got monday out of the way! WHA-HOO!

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Monday is all but gone, Cricket. Did you work today?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yes, ma'am. I did. and I am one tired duck.
how was your day?

Cricket

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image