Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#274195 Apr 13th, 2009 at 09:55 AM
OP Offline
Hi everybody,

This is my first post to the forum. I just bought 2 plants for my cube, and they looked really healthy. I've had them in my cube for maybe 3 weeks now, and they still look okay, but some of the leaves are yellowing/browning. I'm a novice at plants, so I don't know whether the problem is too much sun, too little sun, too much water, too little water, or something else. I also would like to know the names (scientific or common) of the plants. Links are below - there's a close up on the browning/yellowing, as well as a wide shot of the plant for ID.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks very much for any help/information you can offer!

-Dave

officedave #274211 Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yellowing leaves USUALLY means too much water. I'd snip off the yellow/brown leaves and let them dry out a bit more in between waterings. Well, let the top one dry out a bit more in between waterings. the brown leaves on the second plant I wouldn't worry about. anything could have caused that - poor air circulation maybe?
and I don't know the names of those plants. I have the same plant as your second one. mine is outside and not doing much since I moved it a couple of years ago. it's probably time to move it to another location.
Is that first one a diffenbachia?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #274222 Apr 13th, 2009 at 01:43 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think too the first one is a Dieffenbachia---

and if I am not mistaken the second one is a Areca Palm

perhpas someone will come along with proper care instructions for you

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #274337 Apr 14th, 2009 at 05:53 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes the first one is a dieffenbachia are some
may call it a dumbcane, and the other is a plam plan
they look good but the yellow leave's I think is
too much water

OP Offline
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions. I've since identified the palm as a Neanthe Bella, very similar in appearance to an Areca palm.

I'm trying to water them both less. Is it enough to wait until the top layer of soil is bone dry, or should I wait even longer than that?

Also, I have them in little plastic planters inside green ceramic pots. The planter doesn't reach the bottom of the pot, but there is a lot of standing water at the bottom of the pots. Do I need to empty the pots to give the soil the opportunity to dry out completely? Here's what I mean - the plant is in the plastic green planter on the right, which doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the ceramic pot on the left, but it's full of standing water. Should I empty the ceramic pot after I water it, or is standing water at the bottom okay?

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...Gv1sRgCJev7sjqtoX1Hw&feat=directlink[/img]

Thanks,

Dave

officedave #275862 Apr 21st, 2009 at 06:28 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Dave Welcome to the GardenHelper wavy

Absolutely empty the water out of the ceramic pot,, it will turn stagnate and begin to smell if you don't,
Rule of thumb is 2 inches down of dry soil and it needs watering,
However your Dieffenbachia plant likes bright light but no sun actually shining on it. Too much or too little light in combination with the over watering probably caused the yellow leaves. From now on do not water it until it is very dry and the pot feels light weight when you pick it up, probably at least 2 weeks. Then only give it about 2 cups of water or less so the soil is barely moist. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Hi AngelBlossom, thanks for the info!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,916
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image