Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275952 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 02:55 PM
OP Offline
Hello from Southern CA. Like many people, I live in a condo, but am lucky enough to have a fenced-in patio with an L-shaped planting bed. In one spot I have been through a beautiful flame vine, a gorgeous podocarpus, and then, in desperation, a potato vine. It, too, bit the dust. When I dug up the remains, it was clear that the cause of death was (were) root knot nematodes. I have learned of two possible solutions to the problem: (1) Let the land lie fallow for a minimum of four years, which won't do anything for the looks of my patio and (2) Cover the area for three months with clear plastic, which will cook the little nematodes, but only if the average daily temperature is 80 degrees or above. Sadly, the usual summer temperature here doesn't quite make it to 80.

Does anyone have another idea?

Margaret_M #275967 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 03:48 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
You'll get more traffic if you move your post to the PLANT PESTS and PROBLEMS Forum.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #276009 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 05:42 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. I'll try to figure out how to do that.

Margaret_M #276108 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 04:08 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
There must be more ways to get heat into the ground, but how deep do you have to go? I use steam to cook oxalis weeds that take over some areas of the garden beds in Autumn (I have a wide flat fitting for my steamer). But I'm not sure that steam would penetrate far enough into the soil. What if you get some heat into the soil and then put plastic on?

Eternity
Margaret_M #276368 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 09:11 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Margaret_M
Hello from Southern CA. Like many people, I live in a condo, but am lucky enough to have a fenced-in patio with an L-shaped planting bed. In one spot I have been through a beautiful flame vine, a gorgeous podocarpus, and then, in desperation, a potato vine. It, too, bit the dust. When I dug up the remains, it was clear that the cause of death was (were) root knot nematodes. I have learned of two possible solutions to the problem: (1) Let the land lie fallow for a minimum of four years, which won't do anything for the looks of my patio and (2) Cover the area for three months with clear plastic, which will cook the little nematodes, but only if the average daily temperature is 80 degrees or above. Sadly, the usual summer temperature here doesn't quite make it to 80.

Does anyone have another idea?

Check: CLANDOSAN 618. A product made from ground crab and shrimp shells recovered as by-products of seafood processing.

Info from Mississippi State university Extension
http://msucares.com/newsletters/pests/infobytes/19960313.htm

What about nematode control options other than the use of resistant varieties? Gardeners who are interested in trying something new, might want to consider Clandosan 618. Clandosan 618 is a product made from ground crab and shrimp shells recovered as by-products of sea food processing. The ground shells, along with agricultural grade urea, are formed into granular pellets and contain no artificial or synthetic substances, or any product derived from petrochemical sources.

How does Clandosan control nematodes? Prior to planting the garden, the product is tilled into nematode-infested soils to a depth of about six inches. The Clandosan then acts as a growth stimulus for the multiplication of normal soil microorganisms, such as actinomy- cetes, bacteria, and fungi.

After a week or so of feeding on the Clandosan, the "good guy" microorganisms reach high population levels in the soil and need a new sources of food. The new food supply turns out to be root-knot and other damaging types of nematodes, and within two to four weeks after application, Clandosan should have reduced the root-knot nematode population to a non-damaging levels.

For more information about this Clandosan 618, check with your garden supply dealer, or visit your County Extension Office.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image