Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#276186 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:59 AM
OP Offline
So I've finally been able to buy a house and the first thing that I did was build myself a vegetable garden. This is the first time that I've ever done such a thing and I'm hoping that I did enough research before hand, but I'm a little worried.

My plants have been in the ground for about a week now. The temps at night have gotten down to about 40, but no frosts. The problem is that the leaves are starting to wilt and some are getting white/yellow spots on them. I'm more worried about the wilting then the spots (but I'm not sure that I should be).

Could someone please take a look at the pictures I've attached and give me some suggestions on what I can do PLEASE?!?!?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lukkyseven #276402 Apr 24th, 2009 at 05:55 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hopefully others have some thoughts, but to my eye the soil looks dry & a bit sandy.

So, here are a couple of questions for you; this might help us with the diagnosis!

You say you built your beds. Did you add anything to your soil, or is it just the dirt that's in your yard? If you did add stuff, what did you add (this is important)?

Are you watering? And if so, how frequently?

What's the weather been like since you put them in the ground? Bright & sunny all day?

Let us know. And welcome!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #276413 Apr 24th, 2009 at 07:33 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Welcome.
your plants don't actually look that bad for only being planted a week ago. they'll be a little shocked, and that's normal.
I'm with marica. your soil does look more dirt like than soil like. knowing what, if anything, you added to your soil would help us help you. and some mulch wouldn't hurt either.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #276422 Apr 24th, 2009 at 08:54 AM
Looks like you need to add some wet paper around them and then mulch to the top of that. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to dry!

cricket #276426 Apr 24th, 2009 at 09:23 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
Welcome.
your plants don't actually look that bad for only being planted a week ago. they'll be a little shocked, and that's normal.
I'm with marica. your soil does look more dirt like than soil like. knowing what, if anything, you added to your soil would help us help you. and some mulch wouldn't hurt either.

Definitely mulch! But the reason I didn't say that first was b/c I though if we knew if/what had been added, it would help. Frankly, the dirt looks to me like those bags of "topsoil" which in my experience is baaaaad to add to soil, very little water retention at all (yes, made that mistake once). So I was thinking, and given what ever the answers are, it might be a good move to topdress with some rotted, composted manure-- maybe gently work some in (and wet newspaper & anything else to help with water retention)-- BEFORE adding a regular mulch. Just my thoughts. Anyway-- curious to know how the beds got prepared.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #276428 Apr 24th, 2009 at 09:58 AM
OP Offline
Alright... I can give you answers :)

The dirt is from a local dirt/stone/sand vendor. It's two truckloads (of the same stuff) of topsoil/mix. They told me that the topsoil was mixed with compost. In these pictures the dirt does look verrrrry sandy, however that's not the case. These pictures were taken when I got home from work which was after a long day in the sun of about 70* weather. If you'd like for me to rake the top of the soil and take a picture I can do that and have it up in a no time at all.

I added "plant food" that my fiancee had picked up. I'll go get the name of it if this is needed, but on the back of the bottle it did say for flowers and vegetables.

I water as needed... here's my description of as needed. If I can put my finger into the dirt about an inch and it doesn't feel moist, I water. Maybe this isn't proper, but it's something my grandmother told me years ago when I used to help her with flowers.

The weather (Baltimore MD) has been warming from the mid 50's to today what is almost 80. We've had some good long soaking rains followed by some bright sunny days.

I hope this helps, I will gladly answer any questions. I'm not embarrassed if I messed up something so hopefully that helps :)

Last edited by Lukkyseven; Apr 24th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Lukkyseven #276433 Apr 24th, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hi Lukkyseven!

You're grandmother is right! That's my method for watering decisions. :-)

I agree with Cricket, they don't look all that bad after just one week, especially since you said you took the picture at the end of the day.

My thoughts: The soil probably isn't the best. Topsoil isn't garden soil. And I doubt that the guy you got it from has the same ideas about compost that we do. That said, this is your situation. If it were my garden, I'd get several bags of rotted composted manure. I know we're not supposed to advertise here but there's a big box home improvement store that sells 40 lb. bags for about $1.50. I'd spread it everywhere, even in between the rows, about 1-2" deep. Then I'd water thoroughly. Then I might spread newspaper (I usually don't but it's a good idea). Then water that. Then cover everything with straw about 2" deep (you can get it by the for about $5-6/bale). Usually I lightly water that layer, too, just to keep it from blowing.

I wouldn't think that there was a reason to fertilize when you planted, but no worries.

The general ideas behind what I'm suggesting are that if the soil isn't that great, by adding organic matter (including the newspaper) to the top, you will at the least be helping increase the water retention of the soil, and making it better for next year. You can continue to "side-dress" the base of the plants with even more manure early in the season. The straw will cut down on water evaporation from the surface of the soil. All told, you'll be providing a more uniform environment for the roots, both in terms of temperature & water. When you do water, be sure to water deeply.

Also, don't worry if the plants look a little ragged when you get home. Check them out in the morning, as well. If they still look limp, that's another sign they need watering.

(Warning: adding the mulch &c. may also create an environment that slugs & snail like. If you're out there in the morning, look carefully for these. If you see them, there's a page on this site that explains how to deal with them.)

Don't be embarrassed. :-) Be proud you are starting a garden!! (Just wait until you have that first home-grown salad.)

What do the rest of y'all think?

[Linked Image]

Marica #276437 Apr 24th, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I think you just about said it all marica. that's some good advice, in my opinion.
oh yea, and that's good you are not embarrased. we all start somewhere. and we all still make mistakes.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #276490 Apr 24th, 2009 at 04:19 PM
OP Offline
I'm headed to the store now to get some compost and then tomorrow morning I'm going to put that down water, and then put down the newspaper and water. I don't know where to get the straw at yet, but I'll try to find that soon as well. I'll try to post back here by the middle of next week to let you all know how my plants are doing. I hope they start to look better.

Thanks!

Lukkyseven #276567 Apr 25th, 2009 at 05:43 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Try a (smallish) local garden center or nursery for the straw. If they don't have it, they might know where to send you.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

Marica #276572 Apr 25th, 2009 at 06:00 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Has it been windy. Some of my flowers are looking sort of like your veges and I think it's from the wind. Mulch never hurt anything though. I'd mulch.

Bestofour #276588 Apr 25th, 2009 at 07:37 AM
OP Offline
It's not been too windy. I can't say that there hasn't been wind, but not enough for me to look at as a problem. I did find today, while putting down my compost, that there is an ant hill in one section of the garden. I'm looking into removing it currently. Surprisingly though, the plants closest to the hill are doing the best.

I will keep you posted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image