Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes Cricket, you ARE supposed to trim the ginger once the tops of the plant turn yellow.

Well, I'm ANNOYED!

We have new neighbors wbo are, apparently, going to be trouble makers!

So I started the grill down on the sidewalk rather than up on my porch. Our porches and balconeys are wooden, for pete's sake and although all the other neighbors grill right up on them, I do not! I put the grill down on the walkway, just in case.

I cooked the food.

The boys ate and were sitting on the porch singing songs when I brought my plate indoors.

Later I asked them to pick up the debris around the grill (there were about 5 or 6 very small TWIGS on the sidewalk I didn't want left there ) and after that Maxi was going to put water on the grill once it had burned down so we could safely bring it back up on the porch.

The boys were standing around the grill and a neighbor called the police and fire department!

They came strongarming over here, taking the boys names, freaking poor little Dominic out (he is 12 and a nervous kid). Joey is 16 and Maxi 13.

I went outside. I said "I started the grill. I cooked the food. THEN I came in to eat!"

The cop said "So you were just waiting for it to burn down?"

YES, OF COURSE.

"Well your grill is too close to the house!"

TOO CLOSE? EVERYBODY ELSE GRILLS RIGHT UP ON THEIR PORCHES! I have grilled in that same spot every summer we've lived here and NO ONE has ever complained before!

WHO IN THE WORLD CALLS THE POLICE & FIRE DEPT FOR A NEIGHBOR GRILLING?!

So Mr. OFFICIAL took all of our names and birthdates and boy oh boy did Dominic get upset.

And it was all so needless and stupid.

I can't wait to move.

We had a neighbor in our other community several years ago who was mentally ill. SHE called the police and fire department every single day on one of the neighbors for one reason or another. She made everyone's life miserable. The cops told us all that they knew she was mentally ill but they had to answer her calls each time just in case one time she was telling the truth.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Dang Merme.......... I would have said " so it better on the porch like everyone else????? tapfoot "

I can't wait for you to move either,,
I can't believe someone called on you when it was clearly far enough from the building,, especially if you put the lid down so it smothers the fire faster,,
idea maybe you should have offered the new neighbors a bite to eat,, lol lol I bet they wouldn't have complained then haha lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
good grief! calling the fire dept over a grill?!? and your right merme a wooden patio is NO place for a grill. if I owned a complex I wouldn't ALLOW grilling on the porches! some people are just miserable inside so they want to make everyone else miserable as well.

our neighbor right next door lives by herself. we kinda look out for her since she is alone now. one night we noticed her truck was parked at the first gate to her property and her trailer sticking out into the road just a bit. she was no where to be found. we got worried something might have happened to her. she is one of those people who are VERY much a creature of habbit. always parks in the same place, you can set your watch by when she comes and goes. me and hubby were indecisive about what to do. we called the sherif and explained the situation. that we don't KNOW if anything happened, and feel silly calling, but we've NEVER seen her park there especially with her trailer sticking out onto the road a bit. they were in here in 10 minutes! turns out the neighbor was three houses down visiting. we appologized over and over for calling for nothing, but the cop and the neighbor both said 'no, you did the right thing'.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hi everyone! I finally made it outside and finished up the weeding. I got the trees whose roots were trying to make it to china out of the ground and I planted all of my seeds. While I was out there a hummingbird buzzed right next to my head and scared the living daylights out of me so I made a new batch of nectar and cleaned the feeder. I just ordered a new hummingbird feeder from amazon. It's made by the same company as my current feeder and it therefore matches. When I saw it I had to have it. It's the same green, has two sides and perches! Perches was what I was looking for, I didn't think I'd be so lucky to find a perfect match to the one I already have. I'm so excited, it'll be here on wednesday. I also watered my houseplants, did the dishes, started the laundry, and put away some things from my car. Hope everyone else is out there having fun gardening!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Yes Cricket, you ARE supposed to trim the ginger once the tops of the plant turn yellow.

Merme

good to know! thumbup
mine has turned from yellow to brown and crunchy.
maybe that's why it has never bloomed? I'm gonna go chop on it now.
Thanks! kissie

Cricket

2k Posts
2k Posts
OMG OMG OMG...................SORRY GIRLS, KEITH JUST LEFT FOR THE SHOP( THE STORE WHERE HE S MANAGER.. IT S ON FIRE A GIB ONE HALF OF IT IS TOTAL TILL NOW, SO I JUST TOOK 2 MINUTES TO TELL YOU SINCE I VE STARTED WITH YOU A COUPLE MINUTES AGO...GOT TO GO TO THE SHOP KEITH S WAITING FOR ME......................KEEP YOU POSTED SOON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hope everything is okay, Franny!

Cheryl~ you are one busy girl.

I am thinking of doing Ginger also, Cricket. Since we are mere inches from the beach, coming up with enough sand for the container to keep Ginger happy should be easy! (They like that 3/4 dirt to 1/4 sand mix).

Diane when I first started grilling only one new neighbor in the building next to ours was outside with her little boy. She brought him over to meet us. After that, no one else was outside. As it turned out, the new neighbor on the other side of the parking lot (quite far from us!) watched us out his window and didn't come out until the police were here.

Normally near neighbors will join in if someone is grilling, not wanting the extra heat to go to waste if it is a charcoal grill. People will bring their own food & toss it on when you take your food off -- after asking permission of course.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
People will bring their own food & toss it on when you take your food off -- after asking permission of course.

Merme

sounds like MOST of your neighbors are friendly.

I didn't know that ginger likes sandy soil? I was at a friends house about a year ago and someone showed up with a bunch of ginger plants and was handing them out like candy. I glady took one, but never researched to see how it grew. I didn't even know they were supposed to bloom till recently. my ginger is in some very nice m.g. potting soil, but in the hole I dug for it turned to clay about 5 inches down. I mixed in extra m.g. with the clay around the root ball?...live and learn! I cut it back so there'd still be 2-3 leaves on the stem. should I have cut it bck to the ground? I also noticed the original plant is coming back from the roots. I suppose I didn't have to take cuttings and bring them inside for the winter?

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Francine
IT S ON FIRE A GIB ONE HALF OF IT IS TOTAL TILL NOW,

'on fire a gib'? is that a misspelling or a canadian term? why
gees, fran. I'm so sorry to hear about the fire!

Cricket

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Normally near neighbors will join in if someone is grilling, not wanting the extra heat to go to waste if it is a charcoal grill. People will bring their own food & toss it on when you take your food off -- after asking permission of course.

Merme

Heyyyyyyyyyy We used to do that too,, not wasting the heat of the grill!, I miss doing that,, It's hard to do that here with fences dividing every one,! But it sure was a fun social time in the neighborhood when we did that,,
Sounds Like a grumpy person lives across from you,, and I bet he's lonely too,, Probably because he's grumpy notme

Franny,, Be safe,, I hope your Hubby is safe too,, prayers

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Fences do make it hard, Diane!

When we lived in the community on School Street in our cottage, our picnic table had to be out front, so that's where we grilled. I'd fire it up and everyone would come over, bringing food, sitting down eating, letting the kids play and eat. It sure was nice.

Lots of people use those gas grills now so there isn't any wasted heat but I like the old fashioned kind so the kids can do desserts or marshmellows or, we can keep it going after dark if we are grilling late.

I think I would like the big block parties people have in cities.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I got distracted making that chocolate cake in a mug recipe for Maxi and I while he started the laundry! Sorry I wasn't here for a bit! But now we are munching on chocolate cake! thumbup

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cricket many people grow their Ginger in containers so they can be brought in for winter depending on local conditions. And yes, they do like 3/4 soil (or potting mix) to 1/4 sand. And they like to be kept evenly moist. Some folks in warmer areas will plant them in the ground but near a downspout so they get a regular water supply.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
the urchin nephew and the dreaded b.i.l. has called three times today! we dodged them for today. hubby was napping after work, so when he called asking about him we said he was sick. ha ha (we're so bad!) but, they will come in with the full court press tomorrow to come out. Man, if I had to beg and wessel to invite myself to someones house I'd get the hint after a while! just cause were family don't mean we want to hang with you, right?

the bed I have the ginger in has other water lovers in there as well. I think she'll get enough water. stupid question....? the plant ginger is not the same as the herb ginger is it?

chocolate cake sounds yummy!

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I prefer charcoal grills to gas grills also. the way I see it if your gonna cook on a gas grill, might as well cook it in the house? I actually, I like to use wood instead of charcoal in my pit. sometimes I'll mix some charcoal in with the wood to keep a nice hot even temp.

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
There are many varieties of Ginger, Cricket. Most people like to start with growing the Ginger they buy in the grocery store, selecting big root pieces that are shiney and fatter. The plants will eventually get yellow flowers. You shouldn't harvest it the first season.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
AFGREYPARROT! It is a good thing you do not use gas grills! lol

I also like the mix of wood and charcoal.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
to be honest, I can't keep charcoal lit. I do much better with mostly oak and some charcoal mixed in. at our old house we had several pecan trees. Pecan is some NICE cooking wood!

funny story.... when me and hubby first married we lived in this rent house on an acre of land. It did NOT come furnished with a stove. it took us a month or so to get one. so everything we ate was microwaved or grilled. I knew NOTHING about different kinds of wood and completly ruined some fine meat cooking it with cedar branches! haha

Cricket

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Any old ordinary sticks in the yard work fine, Afgrey. Just don't go putting in large limbs and branches! Ya don't want a bonfire in your grill! lol

By the way, I'm opening a new CH.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image