Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#276520 Apr 24th, 2009 at 05:39 PM
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts

hello,

today i was removing a bit of grass and saw under a lot of white worms crawling.ugggh........................if only it would ve been normal earthworms but white worms suck at the root of grass and i ve got yellow grass because of it... what can i do to kill it..preferably with household stuff

tkx.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Are these white worms shaped like earthworms? Or when you dig them up, are they more curved?

Is this what they look like?
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marica; Apr 25th, 2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added picture

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sounds like you have grubs - which are the larval form of various types of beetles.

before treating/killing them you need to determine what kind they are - some beetles are beneficial and you would want to have them even if you lose a bit a grass.

Zone 6b
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts

Marica, yes it s like that one exept i didn t notice if they had a white tail...but i think not...now i went to look but can t find them anymore as i gave them a bottle ov vinegar yesterday...is that allright, :)

Jocelyn, is marica s picture a grub or a bad white worm that suck on grass..sorry i m not very good with that and ask stupid questions sometimes...

thank you both for bearing with me and answering me...

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Francine-- The picture I posted is of a Japanese beetle grub. Very bad, nasty things. But Joclyn is right. If it's not exactly like the photo, it might be the grub of a beneficial beetle. This is especially the case since it's not clear to me (after a quick search) that the range of the Japanese beetle extends into Quebec. Do you have the equivalent of the US "agricultural extension office"? These state & local offices, often associated with universities, usually have information about garden pests.

Hope this helps. If you find another, perhaps you could take a photo & post it. That would help us identify your grub.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
See also Masked Chafers (White Grubs) info at
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r785301311.html

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
hello,

Joclyn thanks for the info but as i can t quite remember your idea of taking a picture next time is very good; and thank you very much for taking the time of doing a quik research for me, twas very nice of you.yes we do have something like the africultural departements.but i think with all of you good ppl. i won t need them.

Papito, thank you very much for the info i ll go and tcheck it out sometimes today, but first i want to go and see if i got anymore of those whit things and try taking a picture of it, but yesterday i couldn t find anymore...maybe because of the bath vinegar i made them take...hahah...you think that s it?

merci et bonne journee !!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image