Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sarav Offline OP
OP Offline
I need some help with my aloe plant. I'm a first time Aloe owner, and I'm having some difficulty.

I bought my plant a few weeks back and I immediately repotted it into a larger pot with potting soil. I read online that this is not the preferred soil, but I figured I should wait a while before moving it again, figuring I’d let it settle first. Last week I noticed that the tip of one leaf was browning. So, I went out and bought some cactus Soil (after reading that this is the preferred soil), and repotted it (in the same pot). I did not cut off this leaf because I wasn’t really sure if I should cut if off or not. Now this leaf seems to be curling in, and I believe this one leaf is dead (only the top half of the leaf is brown though). The rest of the plant is very green and the middle parts seem to be growing. I’m careful to water the plant only when the soil is dry (and after repotting last Saturday, I haven’t watered it yet). I’m concerned with the amount of sunlight it is getting (because we don’t have a whole lot of sun available to us in Newfoundland), but I’m hoping to get it outside in the sun once the weather starts to brighten up.

So, here are my questions. Do you think my entire Aloe is dead, or just that one leaf? There seemed to be some roots when I repotted it, but they are in the shape of the original pot that I bought it in. Should I cut off this leaf to prevent any further dying?

Also, last night I bought two new plants. Both are from the cactus/succulent family. One is a "Fairy Castle" cactus (complete with glued on pink flowers) and I’m not sure the name of the other kind. I know these little guys have to be watered similar to the aloe. My question here is, is there anything special I should do before replanting? I have cactus soil, as you know, and I read online that I should replant it in a pot not too much larger then they’re already in (which helps to prevent over watering). Does this all seem right to you?

Sorry for the long post, but it’s been a busy plant week for me!

sarav Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I thought I'd add some pictures of the aloe, so no one has to read my entire first post. Hopefully I'll get some responses this way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hopefully these pictures are not too large and are clear enough for you to see what's going on with that leaf.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
You've done a good job,, Just don't over water,,,,, Aloe vera doesn't like a lot direct sun outside,, it will turn reddish brown,, it stays nice and green in the shade,,,,, Too much water will turn leaves yellow and mushy,, Too much fertilizer will brown the tips,, as will shock.
Your aloe vera is certainly NOT dead,, you may lose that one leave,, but that's all.
Aloe vera can tolerate a load of neglect as long as you don't over water,, they store water in their leaves,, I don't water mine but once every couple of months and in a pot that size I'd only water about a cup's worth, maybe once a month,,
all three that you have like to be root bound,, I have the Rosette one like you have I can't remember the name either,, But It will get bigger by the end of the summer of you keep it outside, then it will need repotting and it will put off babies,,
I never repot anything I just purchase for at least a month unless it's going in the ground ,, I just place them where They will be stationary so they get used to the environment temps,, lighting,, THEN repot so they don't go into shock,
Sorry it took so long to read your post,, I work during the day and then have to cook dinner,, yadda yadda,, then I get to relax and get on line!

Ohhhhhhh BTW Welcome to the gardenhelper,, your pictures are great thanks for posting them!!!! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
sarav Offline OP
OP Offline
I just wanted to thank you for the last answer. It was very informative and it seems like nothing drastic has happened with my aloe since.

I have another question, however. I just bought a 1.5" cactus plant and I didn't notice, until I re-potted it, that there is a dark spot on it. I read online that if this spot is mushy, it should be removed immediately, but if it is hard then it could be because it is old. This spot is actually hard, but the plant itself seems young (because it is so small). Here is an image of the spot:

[Linked Image]

Do you think it is rot and should be cut off ASAP? Can the smaller plants have hardened spots from the "mother" plant or anything?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Did you forget to post the picture?? notme why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sarav Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmmmm... The picture worked last night. Let's try it again.

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm IF it's hard, it's already calloused over and has healed , I'd leave it alone,, :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sarav Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! I'll just keep and eye on it to make sure it's not spreading. If it is, then I'll remove it ASAP. Will this "scar" be on it forever now, or does it eventually drop off?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Now that I don't know??? why sorry blush

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Hello Sarav,

welcome to the familly( even if i m a bit late to welcome you, now that you re here don t worry the good ppl will have good advices for you.

listen to angle , i know her very well and she s very good with flowers and gardening.

but for its little bronish tip wich will be allright your cactus is beautiful, you re very good taking care of it...keep up the good job.

Bonne journee !

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image