Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#273287 Apr 9th, 2009 at 07:17 PM
OP Offline
Hello again!

I thought I should post this as a separate question from the carrot question.

I am going to be growing corn on a small scale this year, just to see how it does. We have a TON or birds and very familiar deer here. I have been toldthat deer are only interested in corn when it is a sweet green little sprout coming up, and once it becomes a proper corn plant they lose interest. Is this true? If so, I just need to fence against deer when they're small, then I can switch to soft netting to baffle the birds.

Others, though, have said the deer will go after the corn cobs and I need to create a full-height wire fence. I don't want to go with a full-height chicken wire fence if I can get away with bird netting.

Any advice?
Thank so much!

Thistle

Last edited by thistledown; Apr 9th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
thistledown #275853 Apr 21st, 2009 at 05:44 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Try using fishing line and surround the perimeter of your garden. Using stakes, just take the line from one post to the next, keeping the line tight. Run the line at two or three different heighths of the stakes to keep deer out of the garden space. They will not like the feel of the line on them as they try to enter.

Bestofour #276573 Apr 25th, 2009 at 06:01 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
how's your garden growing?

Bestofour #276916 Apr 26th, 2009 at 11:37 AM
OP Offline
Well, it is still too early to plant here. Everyone in town assures me not to put anything in the ground before the Victoria Day long weekend (end of May)...AND all the snow must be completely gone from Elephant Mountain. Once those two criteria are satisfied, you can plant apparently.

The bulbs I planted in the autumn have come up! None of the Irises have opened yet, but the grape hyacinth buds are pushing up and should open soon! The tulips, crocuses, and something I don't remember what it's called (LOL!! little sprays of blue bell-like flowers) have all opened!

Got my first deer damage! I think they were tulips - eaten down to the ground! ~sigh~ I dose everything with hot sauce tonight.

:)
Thistle

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image