Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#276850 Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Klukwan Offline OP
OP Offline
Will it help if I put Tyvek over the 3 feet of ice built up along one side of my garden to melt the 25 foot pile quicker? Trying to figure out how to get rid of this so I can get the dirt to dry out and begin my rows....any advice? I know the plastic Tyvek 4 mill warms the ground and keeps the plants warmer when we have frost will this warm the ice pile or keep the cold in prolonging the problem?

It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt!
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
An interesting physics question. I didn't know what Tyvek was, so I looked it up-- water vapor can pass though it, but not liquid water. I guess the one thing that I'd want to know is what color it is. If it's white, it would reflect light/heat, and I'd guess be counter productive, since the point of covering is to heat things up underneath.

Wondering what people who know more about this than I have to say.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Klukwan Offline OP
OP Offline
It's actually not Tyvek, that was the wrong word, it's polyethelene semi clear plastic sheeting. It's semi clear opaque , same stuff everyone uses to put over their plants and for cheap green houses. Any other suggestions?

It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image