Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#277234 Apr 27th, 2009 at 03:53 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I'm new :)

I have two indoor Gardenias on my mantlepiece which are out of direct sunlight but in a fairly light room. When I first bought them a couple of months ago they seemed nice and healthy. One had a few flowers on them.

Now they are looking dull, the flowers have shrivelled up and no new ones seem to be blooming. The leaves are also turning a bit yellow in one of two places.

I have used a few drops of Baby Bio and have taken care to water them regularly. But still no joy.

Can anyone advise me on how to revive these wonderful plants please? Or are they dying off?

Thanks

Denny

Denny0612 #277243 Apr 27th, 2009 at 04:44 PM
Sorry Denny I cannot help you. I have one about three weeks now and is doing very well. I have it near a window but not in direct sun and I also have the plant raised in a a tray of water which creates humidity. Perhaps yours is being watered too much and that is why the leaves are turning yellow. I am not an expert and am still trying to keep a gardenia plant. I have tried several times with no success, but so far mine is doing well. I am not sure if you can save your plants or not. Good Luck.

[Linked Image from wilsoninfo.com]

Ray from Massachusetts
plants #277258 Apr 27th, 2009 at 06:00 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by plants
have the plant raised in a a tray of water which creates humidity.

I was going to suggest using a tray of pebble. Usually when plants are brought home from any store, they need the pebbles to give them a bit of humidity. In the greenhouse before they're shipped, they're pretty humid, and as well in the store, a grouping of plants creates a more humid environment. I've never grown these before, but I've found that they are REALLY picky. "Such a fussy plant Gardinia's are! Cool temps to set buds, bright light with no midday sun, keep soil moist (but not too moist), no drafts or drastic temp. changes..... the list goes on!" Apparently they are also mite magnets!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #277279 Apr 27th, 2009 at 07:02 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
First of all, if you haven't already, snip off the wilted blooms. This is known as "deadheading". It spares the plant much wasted energy. Same with deadened leaves. Be sure to snip and not rip!

Second of all, Kenny's suggestion of a small tray of pebbles w/ water underneath is a good one for establishing a microclimate. Depending on the size of your plant pots, you can even use something as small as a pie plate. Just fill with pebbles/small stones and add enough water to bring it up at least half-way. But you do NOT want the pot to be sitting in the water! This technic allows the water to evaporate from underneath right up into the plant, making that moist environment they love.

Remember that Gardenia's are native to China and Japan. So they have natural requirements you need to try to mimic in the home environment.

First, they need at least half a day of bright sunlight. The winters can be especially difficult for these plants with the gloomy, shorter days. So a Southern exposure window or supplemental plant-grow lights would help.

Cooler room tempertures help. 55F by day and 65F by night is good.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #278447 May 4th, 2009 at 05:54 AM
OP Offline
Many thanks for your responses. I think mine have already booked an appointment with the good Lord. The leaves have wilted, gone yellow and brown, the flowers aren't blooming.

I'll get some less bothersome plants in future. I have an ivy and a fern - both of these seem to be doing OK :)

Denny0612 #278505 May 4th, 2009 at 03:35 PM
Denny I know how you must feel about loosing your Gardenia plants, seems the plants we always want so bad do not survive. I think they force them so much when you purchase these when we bring them home it is difficult for them to adjust.

Perhaps if you get a starter plant that might help.

Ray

[Linked Image from wilsoninfo.com]

Ray from Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image