Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#271856 Apr 1st, 2009 at 05:34 AM
Ivy516 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. This is my first question on the board here!

I am trying to decide what type of evergreen to buy for my back yard. My property backs up to a business property, and I'd like a tree that will provide a good screen. I don't want a solid wall of trees like arborvitae, although I do plan to use those as well.

I'm trying to decide on an evergreen tree that will grow nice and tall, at least thirty feet, and provide relatively thick cover from the eyesore across the fence. It can't be too wide on the bottom, though, because it will be planted within about 4 feet to a fence and also near a swingset.

This tree will be sort of a showcase tree or focal point smack in the center of the back edge of my yard.

Trees I've read about are canadian hemlock (although I understand there is a serious asian beetle problem killing these trees), eastern white pine (maybe too wide?), and balsam fir (I think this might be too slow growing).

Any suggestions?

Also, a totally different topic - my daughter got some quaking aspen seeds in a restaurant kids' menu (believe it or not) and I'd like to start them with her. Any suggestions on this process? I've never started a tree from seed before.

Oh, yeah, and we have deer, rabbits, and groundhogs here.

Thanks very much!

New Jersey Ivy

New Jersey Ivy
Ivy516 #276207 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 12:32 PM
White Pine look really nice, as far as size I have no idea though. You could always plant a Japanese Yew Tree and shape it each year they grow really tall, someone by me has an old one that's over 15 ft high with bright red berries, that's one plant! The birds love it!

Looks like this
[Linked Image]

KeithP #277721 May 1st, 2009 at 03:30 AM
Ivy516 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Keith - thanks for your reply. That is a really lovely tree, and a great suggestion.

New Jersey Ivy
KeithP #277736 May 1st, 2009 at 05:58 AM
This tree is the new age tree,
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Instructions/ThujaInst.ht
very good choice for what you discribe.
As for the aspen they are hard to start from seed, In the fall plant then out in a protected seed bed cover lightly, water and then let mother nature do the rest. Come spring watch for tiny seedlings. Aspens generaly reproduce by cloning themselves from root suckers.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Think about something other than a conifer. Magnolia grandiflora is a beautiful tree with large blossoms.

Magnolia grandiflora

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,924
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image