Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Klukwan Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a bunch of seedlings from 3" to 18" that I'm starting to harden off. My schedule allows me to place them outside from 12:00pm to 8:00pm which goes from warm and then gets cool around 8pm. Will this be enough time outside for a week to then leave them out 24 hours or should they be out 12 (or more) hours daily before leaving out 24 hours and planting in the garden?

It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

It sounds like you're doing it right ,, thumbup
Generally to hard off,,
~~~~
Move the plants to a shady spot for increasing amounts of time, several days in a row.

Bring them in or cover them if the temperature looks like it will dip.

Gradually increase the amount of time they spend outside and the amount of sunlight they receive until you see that they are growing strong and appear ready to go out on their own.

Water your seedlings well before and after tranplanting and try not to transplant during the hottest, sunniest part of the day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Klukwan Offline OP
OP Offline
They really get limp towards the evening and are starting to look really light green....not as dark as when they stay in the house....why is this?

It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt!
The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
Don't let them outside for too long at the start. Start out with about an hour the first day, increase to 2 hours the second day, 3 hours the third and so on. After a week, they should be properly hardened.

Terry

May the force be with you
If you have the time the gradual method works well. I'm unable to do this due to work demands. So I use other methods. I place them on the east side of the garage where they get only morning sun for a few days. I also have a cold frame I use and put shade cloth over it and then remove it for a short time when I'm around. I leave them covered when the sun is directly overhead. Also I move tomato plants directly from indoors to the garden. I plant in post holes with the plant tops just even with ground level and put a 5 gal plastic bucket over them. This limits the sun enough and if the temps are cool I put plastic over the top and cut a ventilation slit in the top. I have used these methods for years and they work well for me. I hardly ever sun burn the tops. The main thing here is too keep them protected from the wind and let them get used to it gradually which the buckets allow also. Just a few other suggestions for those that are unable to harden off and move plants by the most often suggested way. I also pot up and harden off several hundred plants and not just a few. So what is practical for many isn't for myself and larger growers. Jay

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image