Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#277371 Apr 28th, 2009 at 02:05 PM
Thadd Offline OP
OP Offline
I have two crops that are being attacked, my purple pod pole beans and my plain jane lettuce.
Someone has eaten all of the foliage off of the bean plants (about 5" tall) and left the stalks. I sprayed with insecticide, built a mesh cage around them and put out snail bait...The ones that were left have since been stripped.
The lettuce plants are disappearing...no footprints, no snail trails, no evidence of cut worms, no plant material, nada.
I would suspect deer, but I don't think we have any because we do have the odd coyote. We do occasionally see possums, racoons, and squirrels, but the squirrels get plenty stealing out of the bird feeders...
Anyone have a suggestion???

Thadd #277473 Apr 29th, 2009 at 04:19 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hum... I would have suspected snails for the lettuce. But you say no. I'm stumped, sorry. What's your location?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #277749 May 1st, 2009 at 09:26 AM
The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
I would be almost certain it's the deer eating the pole beans. I have the same problem with mine, so I try to stake deer netting around my pole beans. Lowe's has 7 foot netting in 100 foot rolls for $12 or $13 a roll. I wanted the 7 foot poles, but they were out so I got the 6 footers (5 feet when pounded in the ground). It helps as long as you keep the netting from sagging and they don't jump the fence. They're less likely to jump when the garden has grown full.

Top guesses for the lettuce are rabbits or groundhogs, but they normally leave tracks unless the ground is firmed up.

Terry

May the force be with you

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image