Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#277932 May 2nd, 2009 at 10:12 AM
OP Offline
So I've been reading that planting Basil next to tomato's makes them taste sweeter. This is something that I'd like to find out first hand for the simple fact that I'm new to gardening and I'm all about trying new things right now.

So the way I want to do this (since my garden is full) is by planting a tomato plant in a pot with some basil in the pot as well. I've gotten a big enough pot, but I just want to know what type of soil I should use. Should I use potting soil? Or should I use compost with topsoil in the pot?

If someone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Lukkyseven #277941 May 2nd, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Depending on the type of tomato, you'll likely need to stake it at some point.
A good quality potting soil would be best, and if you have good compost, that would be great to mix in, but don't bother with the bagged stuff. I'd get a product like Plant Tone or Tomato Tone and add a couple of tablespoons to the soil. In some climates you may have to water once a day with a potted tomato, and every couple of weeks, I'd probably water with a half strength liquid fert like fish emulsion or miracle grow. If you get a potting soil with fertilizer added, you would be better off waiting a month or 2 before adding more fert.

dave
peppereater #277985 May 2nd, 2009 at 02:58 PM
OP Offline
I ended up getting miracle grow with fert added. I'm sure it's not the same as an organic, but it'll do me for this year. I plan on staking when I need to, but I was going to let the plant grow as is for now.

The type of tomato that I'm growing in the plant is Big Cherry Tomato. I will keep the half strength liquid fert in my mind and be sure to do that as well.

Thank you

Lukkyseven #277986 May 2nd, 2009 at 03:05 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Dave I was thinking of doing the same thing,,
I don't have room in the back yard for planting tomatoes ,,
I was going to use 20 gallon plastic buckets with holes drilled in the bottom and place the buckets on bricks on ,my patio as that is where it will get the most sun morning til around 12 and again from 4-5 to sundown
I have my own made compost/ and mushroom compost and potting soil, and cages
The tomato starts I have are
heirloom : Purple Cherokee and Mr. Stripey
Hybird:Beef steak

Will these three work in the containers I mentioned,, or should I just give Jimmy ( JV) My starts and let him grow them for me?? notme lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #277998 May 2nd, 2009 at 03:50 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
does basil really work for making them sweeter?

Bestofour #278012 May 2nd, 2009 at 05:07 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We grow tomatoes in pots all the time. As for staking, I just use ordinary tomatoe cages placed right into the pot.

We also do Upside Down Tomatoes which we made ourselves using food quality buckets we got free from a restaurant. Just drilled the hole in the bottom and added a chain to hang it, and et voila! It is a wonderful way to grow tomatoes and avoids many of the issues one encounters with in-ground planting. Also, you can add flowers to the top of the bucket as well, even something that hangs down the sides to help make the arrangement more eye-appealing.

I use quality potting soil which I amend with tomatoe growing stuff sometimes.

And of course, you do not need to fill the entire huge pot or bucket with soil! We use empty 2 liter bottles in the bottom to help with drainage and to take up space.

Oh yes, one other thing. Watering is essential for any container gardening. Think of this: the wind hits the container from all sides, and since the soil is above ground, it can dry out far more quickly than anything in-ground.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; May 2nd, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #278013 May 2nd, 2009 at 05:11 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Diane I think yours should do just fine as you have planned.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #278058 May 2nd, 2009 at 07:10 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have 2 large pots on my deck that get full sun. I plan on putting a tomato plant in one and a flower in the other---

but now I wonder if I should be adding a basil plant???

and BTW---Rod is going to buy me the tomato plant--it was all his idea
that got him points thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #278067 May 2nd, 2009 at 07:23 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I bought some patio tomato seeds online but not one of them has germinated so I think it was the seeds.

Bestofour #278123 May 2nd, 2009 at 10:53 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Well, the issue of companion planting isn't well researched, and there is no reason to think that you HAVE to plant basil or anything else with the tomatoes, but it would sure be great to have fresh basil to use with tomatoes, fresh or cooked!!!!!!!

dave
peppereater #278315 May 3rd, 2009 at 04:06 PM
OP Offline
Companion planting (from what I have been able to find) has only been proven (and I'm not sure how "proven" it is) to repel bugs. Or at a minimum, interest the bugs before your vegetable or fruit.

This is why I wanted to try and find out for myself how much "sweeter" the tomatoes will be. Unfortunately, I found out that the type of tomatoes I had to test did not grow well in pots. So I ended up planting them in my garden since I had a plant die and had one open spot left. I have two beefsteak tomato plants in seperate corners of my garden. One has basil planted next to it and the other has a banana pepper plant next to it. So if it really does work I will gladly let everyone here know.

Since this is my first year gardening, I don't know how reliable my findings will be since it could be something I did to my garden to make one spot taste different then the other (if that's possible).

So what's in my pot now is Big Cherry Tomatoes. I do have basil growing in there with them though. If all else fails, I use basil in a lot of stuff that I cook on the grill and it appears to be a staple in a lot of tomato based stuff.

Lukkyseven #278490 May 4th, 2009 at 01:49 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Yep, I agree, at worst you'll have both tomtoes AND basil...I believe the issue of companion planting is entirely valid, but it is one of those issues that gets all muddled up with eccentricity and "spooky science!"
Not that these things, like planting by the Farmers's Almanac, arent' valid, their is just a lot of misnformation out there, I have to say that I can't imagine a truly great tomato out there that would taste beter thanks to a companion planting. The 2 plants should do well together at the least, until the basil bolts, and you've got the makings of some GREAT sauces and salsas....
//concentrate on getting the best results from your maters, don't fall for feaux science, if you know what I mean!

dave
peppereater #278948 May 7th, 2009 at 03:34 AM
I've never noticed that planting Basil next to tomato's makes them taste sweeter. Although,I do like the scent of basil plants when I brush them while tending for my tomatoes.It's true that certain vegetables seem to do better when planted next to each other, because those plants have similar needs and both benefit from that need being met that season (similar light, soil pH, watering pattern, heat..).

Adrien #278969 May 7th, 2009 at 05:10 AM
OP Offline
I like the idea of having the herbs around my plants for the reason that I'll use them. flowers make the thing look nice and maybe take the aphids before the plants, but do you use them?

It will also give me something else to do while I'm out there in the garden.

Lukkyseven #278978 May 7th, 2009 at 07:24 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Don't tomatoes come in varieties that are sweet, sweeter, sweetest... without worrying about companion planting to make them sweet. They taste good to me.

Bestofour #278998 May 7th, 2009 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
I know that there are different types of tomatoes, but I'd have no idea which ones are sweeter. I bet some of the mater guru's here probably could have suggested something better then what I planted. I'm really doing this because I want to start an herb garden next year and just wanted to dable into herb growing this year. But I figured why not test the companion planting theory.

peppereater #279367 May 9th, 2009 at 07:32 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by peppereater
Well, the issue of companion planting isn't well researched, and there is no reason to think that you HAVE to plant basil or anything else with the tomatoes, but it would sure be great to have fresh basil to use with tomatoes, fresh or cooked!!!!!!!

This is neither my experience, given my research on the research, nor my overall impression. I appreciate that the companion planting issue is somewhat tangential to this original post, but I believe that companion planting is well-researched and documented. Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean here. Could you clarify?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #279369 May 9th, 2009 at 08:14 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It's one of those issues that has evidence supporting both sides, like whether butter is better, blah blah, I tend to lean toward experience and tradition a bit more than funded studies, but you know how these things get stirred up every few years and "disproved", etc.
Lots of things like whether basil makes tomatoes sweeter are often passed on through various media or through tradition, without having been observed through control based, scientific experiments, or at any rate, without mainstream science accepting the findings. I have no argument against traditionally practiced methods, and I'm not saying these traditions aren't right, it's just that so called "proof" is lacking for many practices.

dave
peppereater #279464 May 10th, 2009 at 01:54 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by peppereater
It's one of those issues that has evidence supporting both sides, like whether butter is better, blah blah, I tend to lean toward experience and tradition a bit more than funded studies, but you know how these things get stirred up every few years and "disproved", etc.
Lots of things like whether basil makes tomatoes sweeter are often passed on through various media or through tradition, without having been observed through control based, scientific experiments, or at any rate, without mainstream science accepting the findings. I have no argument against traditionally practiced methods, and I'm not saying these traditions aren't right, it's just that so called "proof" is lacking for many practices.

I have read that basil does have the potential to repel tomato hornworms, however, basil does not improve the flavour of tomatoes significantly (if at all) to untrained food tasters. My Italian neighbours insist on growing basil next to their tomatoes, and told me that their family's been doing that for as long as they can remember and said that it was easier and saves space (basil can be tucked under tomatoes to act like a living mulch). Most people that I've talked to, and some teachers, say that it's more of a convenience to have basil next to the tomatoes rather than having to drag a bucket of tomatoes to get basil. If you looks up tomato+basil+planting at google scholar, you'll find LOTS of papers lol

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #318373 May 17th, 2010 at 05:36 PM
Thanks for starting a thread on this topic; I was about to start one when I found this thread.

I have heard to that basil is supposed to be an excellent companion plant for tomatoes and I've been trying to figure out why?

I've heard allegations like other have said that basil is supposed to make tomatoes taste sweeter; it sounds like that may be a myth. The way they say it, gives me the impression that they mean that simply growing basil near a tomato plant can make it sweeter; this sounds suspiciously like malarkey; it seems others here seem to agree with my suspicion. I'm wondering if this apparent myth got started by someone who likes to make tomato and basil salads and they said that basil makes tomatoes taste better; and that maybe someone assumed that they meant as a planting companion instead of as a salad companion. (Like they say context means everything)

The reason I got interested in basil is because I've heard it alleged that basil repels mosquitoes, flies and some other insects. I'm hoping that if I got basil in my tomato plant containers around my deck that it will help keep mosquitoes and other pesky insects away. I'm wondering if the living planet itself in its natural state is the repellent or if you have to rub the leaves on your body before the alleged repellent effects work?

I also got some rosemary that I'm planting separately that I've heard allegations that it repels mosquitoes. I similarly was wondering if the plant itself in its natural state repels mosquitoes; or does the leaves have to be rubbed against the skin for the repellent properties to be effective?

Last edited by MrTomatoHead; May 17th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image