Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#278626 May 5th, 2009 at 08:52 AM
OP Offline
Today I bought a Nectarine and an Asian Pear tree. I was smart and looked at the nectarine to make sure that it would self pollinate, but I did not look at the pear. The tag on the pear tree says that it requires a pollinator. Will my peach tree do the trick? Or does it have to be another pear tree?

If it has to be another pear tree then I'll take it back and get something else. I do not want two of the same type of fruits because I'm the only one in the family that even eats fruit. So I'll be giving a large amount of my fruit away (when the trees do bear fruit in a few years) and I don't want to have just one type.

If someone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing that I can find on the internet is that some trees that require a pollinator will sometimes bear fruit and sometimes wont. I was hoping someone in here had a little more knowledge.

Thanks

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
See Asian Pear Pollination Chart

Asian pears are partially self-fruitful but will have better crops if pollinated by another Asian pear or European pear such as Anjou, Bartlett, Bosc and other varieties common to your area.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #278681 May 5th, 2009 at 02:56 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Pears do seem to get pollinated some way, you'll se an isolated spcimen sometimes bearing fruit, but the recommendation is that basically all pears have another variety nearby. I can't think of too many fruit I like better than a fresh pear, I'd be tempted to try it if the tree wasn't too pricey. Since Asian Pear is considered partially self fruitful, you may get all the fruit you need for yourself, and possibly more...

dave
OP Offline
I'm definitely hoping that I get some fruit from it. I didn't even think that a pear tree wasn't a self pollinator. The reason I say this is that we had pears growing up as a kid and there wasn't any other pear tree that I knew of in the neighborhood.

Here's another question though. I just bought these tree's from a good local shop I just stumbled across and both are about 6 feet tall. I'm not sure how old that makes either of these tree's, but I'm assuming that makes them older then a year? Maybe someone could give me an estimate of the age.

Also... the tree's have round green objects on them that look like small fruit. I've never payed attention to a tree at the first of it's fruiting. Are these objects small fruit? Or is it the tree forming flowers or branches? I can take pictures tomorrow if someone would like. Please let me know.

Thanks

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
sounds like beginnings of fruit. I'd guess them at 2 yrs.

dave
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
sounds like beginnings of fruit. I'd guess them at 2 yrs.
If you keep them, pinch off some of the fruit at less than marble size, leave no more than 2 in a cluster. Mind you, I'm not that experienced w/ any one kind of fruit, but I've worked with plants for...35 years? Only had my own orchard for 8 yrs. now. But i've worked with many small orchards and done pruning this entire time.
Post pics if you get a chance,...

dave
OP Offline
I will hopefully get some pictures tomorrow. I might take them today if I get a chance. Just keep an eye on this thread and I'll be sure to get them up soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image