Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279058 May 7th, 2009 at 05:22 PM
OP Offline
I ordered 15 peony roots on sale, just got them, and they have 2-4 eyes- some of them really big. I was reading though you are supposed to plant in the fall. So, should I try to store these? or go ahead and plant them now, and wait for blooms. Can they even be stored? wish I would have found this site earlier. LOL

plantingfool #279094 May 7th, 2009 at 07:40 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love peonies. I would go ahead and plant them now as long as it is still cool in your area. Peonies should have 3 to 5 eyes on each root. And they take as much as 8 years to bloom but I happen to believe they are worth the wait. Some types are good in full sun and some like partial shade. All of them should be protected from the wind since they will loose their petals to even moderate wind and rain.

I have 7 peonies in one of my flower beds and even a bud on one of the plants. I can't wait to see it bloom. Even though I should really cut it off this year to let the plant spend it's energy getting bigger.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #279213 May 8th, 2009 at 06:03 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! It was a little rainy today, and cooler, so we got out there and planted them all. I now have 15- alternating Sarah, Festiva maxima, and Sorbet. so pink & white- all down the house side of the driveway. Wow are we beat! Yes I think itwill be well worth the wait. Since the cars will be on the north side of them, I am hoping they will act as a wind break, cuz it can be pretty windy out here. I need to find the support cages to order. Do yo use them? it sounds like a good idea when they do bloom for support. How long have you had yours in? These roots were mostly 4 eyes, but a few of the Festiva's only had 2. They were on sale, so I didnt call the company . I got five for what soem are selling for one, so I guess you get what you pay for. only reason I ordered so many at a time!I sure hope it doesnt take too many years to bloom, but we are here at least till retirement, if not longer, so 20 years away anyways LOL. I am so excited we got them planted! My poor husband, but he takes it well, especially seeing how excited I am about my plantings! grin

plantingfool #279243 May 8th, 2009 at 11:00 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
Are your peonies single bloomers, or doubles? Singles shouldn't need support.

Terry

May the force be with you
obywan59 #279255 May 9th, 2009 at 06:18 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have the same ones you do. plus the felix supreme which has budded this year and pillow talk and sargeat leverra. I think I spelled that last one wrong. I'll have to look it up. Then I have another white peonie from penny. I thought I killed it last year but it has come back. And that makes me very happy.

I haven't caged mine yet. They were planted last fall so they are very young. But probably as they get older and thicker I'll put a tall fencing around them.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image