Rate Thread
#278378 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:04 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
HOLY COW!!! My 12 yr old son has had some major teenager attitude lately and is very close to failing this school year when he's always been an A and B student. We had a long conversation this afternoon as to what he might do or can do to try and pass this year...extra credit etc.
ANYWAY, at the end of our conversation I told him sometime this week...before Friday... whenever he was ready that we were gonna sit down and have a talk about sex, drugs, and rock and roll! He giggled a bit at the title, but then got freaky wide eyed! I told him the talk wasn't going to be that bad, don't worry ect. Now, I'm freaked out! where to begin? What are we supposed to talk about? Has anyone done this recently? yikes

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #278383 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:10 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Have you been talking right along? Answering questions? My oldest never asked the questions. I sat her down at about 11 and gave her the low down. Once you get started the questions often come along and ease the path for you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #278384 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:14 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ask him what he knows, maybe.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
cricket #278385 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:14 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I'm 'still' 17 and I've never gotten a talk from my dad, neither have my friends. I see dads giving the 'talk' all the time on tv, but don't know anyone whose really gotten one (asian thing?) I've learnt everything from what my friends have told me...(and if need be: urbandictionary.com) lol

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
cricket #278386 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:16 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cricket, I've been giving Maxi age appropriate information all along, so we never had to have "the talk" in any formal way.

Although, once we did sit down and discuss various senarios he might encounter as a teenager. What if the girl says... What if the boys in the locker room say... Ways he might maintain himself w/ integrity and honor while still respecting his friends and their possibly different values.

My biggest problem is that I can be QUITE a prissy missy and do not like discussing personal matters (doing is different than talking!) BUT since I always knew his dad would NOT tell him anything sensible, I have never allowed my natural reserve to interfere with my communicating with Maxi on these important topics. So, my approach has always been matter of fact, positive, and sometimes humorous.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Tina #278387 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:17 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Ask him what he knows, maybe.

yes I like that approach--then you can correct any mis-information he has and like Tina says the questions/ideas should come then for you

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #278394 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:24 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
He might be shy to say what he knows (or thinks he knows) if he has to "go first". Maybe Cricket could give the opening salvos, letting him know it is okay to speak about things honestly, giving him room to react (with comments, giggles or eye-rolling) to get the conversational wheels rolling.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #278404 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:45 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
a good point and a good idea, Merme thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
kennyso #278405 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:45 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
I'm 'still' 17 and I've never gotten a talk from my dad, neither have my friends. I see dads giving the 'talk' all the time on tv, but don't know anyone whose really gotten one (asian thing?) I've learnt everything from what my friends have told me...(and if need be: urbandictionary.com) lol

I never got 'the talk' either, Kenny. and that kind of talk coming from one of my parents, even if I would have gotten it, would have been terrifing! I don't want to terrify the boy. and what is urbandictionary.com? ha ha maybe I should google that, huh!?!

my main concern with him, I guess, is not the 'one plus one' of it all, but the emotional-it's-ok-to-feel-that-way. what do you say to a boy that is 'not interested in girls', but takes 3 showers a day?

gosh, I miss the days when chocolate pudding could fix ANYTHING!

Cricket

cricket #278410 May 3rd, 2009 at 07:53 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I had a thought....maybe each of us could write a question or two on each subject. since I told him it would be a 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll' talk. we could each write down a question and comment about each one. then the other person could write back a response. maybe he wouldn't be so embarrased that way. and with the rock and roll topic in there too, it would make it less stressful for both of us???? idk?

Cricket

cricket #278416 May 3rd, 2009 at 08:21 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
but the emotional-it's-ok-to-feel-that-way. what do you say to a boy that is 'not interested in girls', but takes 3 showers a day?

Well, Cricket, here is where you use your acting skills, being dramatic and humorous while helping him understand.

I remember explaining to Maxi that one day his hormones were going to kick in and all of a sudden EVERY blood cell he has got would be running through his body yelling "Gotta find a woman! Gotta find a woman!" Well, he laughed so hard! But he understood that those feelings would be natural but would occur far sooner than when he'd actually be ready to act on them.

I also brought up something from his younger days. He had a few buddies who used to come over here and brag about their expensive toys. Two of them insisted that they had 40 Yu-Gi-Oh dueling decks! Well, those dueling decks worn on the arm to play the cards from were very expensive and we knew that neither boy could possibly have 40. As it turned out, those boys didn't have even one!

So I said to Maxi, "remember when so & so were bragging about their dueling decks and you KNEW they didn't have any? Well, when you are a teenager, there will be boys in your school who will also lie about how many girls they've been with, just like some boys lied about toys. When you hear it, don't feel bad about your inexperience. Just realize they are lying. And ask yourself just how many of the nice girls in your school would REALLY have given it up for these guys?"

It is the emotional piece that can be harder than the factual piece.

gosh, I miss the days when chocolate pudding could fix ANYTHING!

Dish up some chocolate pudding to share while you yak! thumbup

Just keep it simple and keep it honest. You know your kid better than anybody.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

cricket #278417 May 3rd, 2009 at 08:23 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
urbandictionary.com is a dictionary site where you can look up the newest slang that kids are using. You might want to check it out.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #278419 May 3rd, 2009 at 08:44 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I will check out that site, kenny! thanks! my slang is still stuck in the 80's!
Merme, I like your advice! especially the part about the other kids bragging. I DO know him well, and while I know his hormones are running a muck, I also know he's still not that interested in the girlfriend thing cluttering up his life. but, if his friends are talking about all that all the time......hmmm....
chocolate pudding and yu-gi-o cards! I think I know where to start now!

Cricket

cricket #278466 May 4th, 2009 at 06:36 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
My parents never had the "talk" with me either. I guess I just learned from friends, TV and things like that. When Tristen is a bit older we will have the "talk" with him. I think it is great that you are going to with your son. I'm sure it is going to seem a little awkward and tense at first but both of you will be glad it took place in the end. thumbup

#278515 May 4th, 2009 at 05:25 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cricket, I did my growing Up classes last Monday for 4th grade girls and 5th grade boys - separately of course. The presentation starts with the growing up part - which is normal however your body decides to do it. You may be short right now or tall right now but that's what is right for your body. It's normal for you. You have a tiny pituitary gland in your head that releases hormones that tell your body when to do these things. Your voice will change, you'll get body hair (tell the regions using the real words) your shoulders will broaden, you'll start to sweat and maybe have BO, when your pituitary decides it's time for you which WILL be different from your friends but it's normal for you. If you haven't already you will start noticing erections and start having wet dreams. This is normal but isn't conversation for mixed company or at school because as you have probably figured out the growing up girls go through is different than what happens to boys.

Leave the actual sex part for very last.

We always tell boys (we did this at the health dept) too that their mothers are girls and their sisters are girls and their grandmothers are girls. They need to think about this before they speak to a girl or interact with a girl and do so however they would like a young man to interact with the girls in their lives.

kennyso #279234 May 8th, 2009 at 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by kennyso
urbandictionary.com is a dictionary site where you can look up the newest slang that kids are using. You might want to check it out.

checked out it is a good site wavy

Bestofour #279688 May 11th, 2009 at 06:11 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
did you talk Cricket?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image