Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#278501 May 4th, 2009 at 03:12 PM
OP Offline
I bought a bag of bleeding heart.... rhizomes? from WallyWorld - five in the bag so I figured it was a good deal - at least one will live, right?

Well, all five have shot up to big plants a couple of feet high! One is even starting to flower! Here is a picture I took today when I took them for walkies outside to get them hardened:

[Linked Image]

My question is, is it too soon? In my area nothing should go outside (except spinach and peas) for another three weeks! Should I pinch these flowers off ASAP? Just leave them? I don't want the plant to be "done" before it even gets to the garden!

Many thanks from a newbie!
smile
Thistle

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I'd leave them and see what happens. I've never had good experience with 'their' plants nor bulbs etc. I find that the garden centers that the supermarkets open on their parking lots usually have better quality, local plants which thrive more easily. Usually, 'they' start selling bulbs and roots as soon as they can, and often times it's too early to plant (like in your case). You want to keep them as cool as you can without freezing them. These go dormant as soon as it gets hot/humid. If you have anymore roots (this or another) you should open them up and see if they've sprouted, and then keep them cool. If they've got long sprouts, you can cut the sprouts off, but leave about a centimeter stump.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Mine starts flowerng in late winter/early spring usually while we can still have frosts/freezes. I learned that even if it goes through a freeze that kills off the flowers and top growth up to that point, it will regrow more and flower again when conditions are right.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I'd generally agree with the comments above. As far as blossoms, Bleeding Heart seems simiolar to many other "bulbs," rhyzomes, etc. that tend to flower once and the start to store energy for next season. I'd say, enjoy them while you can, then try to get them planted after the blossoms start to drop.

dave
Eva Offline
I am sorry that I can't really help with your question, but I am in love with your plant!!! They are just darling! I don't think I have ever seen them... They really made my day!

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the responses!

I've been hardening them as much as possible and will plant them Victoria Day. It snowed on the nearby mountain pass again the other day, but I'm keepin' the faith!

I wish I could avoid the big W, but there is very little alternative here. There are a couple of privately owned growers/greenhouses, but I can only afford to look! The two grocery stores put out a few racks of very sad looking baskets of johnny-jump-ups, herbs, and marigolds and never water them... ~sigh~

A lot of people here mail order plants, but most grow from seed and then trade plants! I've already hit up family and friends for ferns, astilbe, coral bells, and more hostas!

Thanks again for the support!
I'll post pics of my garden when I get it in!
:)
Thistle

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image