Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279294 May 9th, 2009 at 10:38 AM
OP Offline
lost 6 aboravite - clay soil not draining. along north property line. we used good garden soil, amended, but apparantly was not enough. when Dh dug them up, holes are filled with water. everything is right now, as its raining again today, and will be for next week they say. we need to replace with something. to fix the area would mean a 20 ft x 4 trech with gravel, or put in french drains. we already have too many projects going on. anyone know of a tree or evergreen(my preferance) that if we used gravel in larger holes, that might survive? tall and wide is fine- wanting to make privacy barrier. zone 6b in OK/fullsun .
we have poplars along back that previous owner put in, but that area is not as wet as north property line .?? I couldnt find much doing search for wetland trees....???

A couple of tree ideas maybe you have already considered

1. Weeping willow grows pretty fast and loves wet soils
2. Birch - not sure how far north you are in OK - when I lived in Illinois I knew birches liked wet soils.
3. There are a few oaks that like wet areas too.

A shrub I had in my yard that grew like a weed no matter the conditions - Elengnus - zone 6 - aka elaeagnus pungens.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's best to plant in the soil that you have rather than creating a pocket of better soil...that just makes a bowl for the water to collect in and drown the plants!

if you're going to amend the soil to improve it, then you need to do so for the whole bed and you need to go down a couple feet also.

Zone 6b
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
All good advice, I would only lightly amend the soil if it's pure clay....I'm in Oklahoma, near Shawnee and Norman, where are you, and is the soil pure, red clay? Our soil can be clay in one spot and sand 6 feet away. If you want to try arbor vitae again, use a post hole digger and dig a "post hole" down as far as is reasonable in the bottom of the planting hole. Mound the soil somewhat so that the soil level currently at the stem of the plant is 2 to 3 inches higher than surrounding soil.
Arbor Vitae tolerate a range of soils, but I won't swear they'll thrive in pure clay. I'm rusty on soils for shrubs, but I seem to recall that some of the hollies will take clay soil with some care during establishment.
Pears, the fruiting kinds and ornamentals like Bradfords, are quite tolerant. Bald Cypress is tolerant of clay. Nandina will grow most anywhere. Even the Southern Red or Swamp Maple tolerates clay. It's too early in the morning for me to recall much more, but you do have choices both deciduous and evergreen.
Oh yeah, look into Red Tip Photinia, I've seen them thrive in pure clay.
Oh yeah...Tex above mentioned oaks, the willow Oak and better yet the Water Oak are semi-evergreen, basically holding many green leaves all winter, and are clay tolerant.

Last edited by peppereater; May 24th, 2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: I'm half asleep

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image