Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279465 May 10th, 2009 at 01:57 PM
jj94 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so I have some plants around the house, but I don't know mainly what these plants are. All of these except for two have been in the yard since the house was bought. My parents had one of them planted when I was younger, so I can't remember what it was and neither can my parents. The other one was given to me by a friend who had one too many of the plant.

Ok, so I believe this one is an azalea, but I'm not sure. This is the one that was planted when I was younger.
[Linked Image]

A close up view of the thought-to-be-azalea's leaves and flowers.
[Linked Image]

This one is more like a ground cover plant. The flowers' color is washed out by the sunlight. The true color is a light bluish-purple. The leaves/needles seem to die or become brown during the winter, but don't really fall off. Then they just kind of spring back when it gets warmer.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jj94; May 10th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Josh
jj94 #279469 May 10th, 2009 at 02:13 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Josh,,,,,
the first one is Azaleas
2nd,, Phlox I believe
3rd periwinkle/vinca
4th vine looks to be a clematis?
the rest I don't know for sure

*Also please keep in mind we have dial up members here as well ,,, so posting 3 pictures in a single post is the this forum's limit,, however you're welcome to post several separate postings with 3 pic's each in them,, thumbup*

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #279471 May 10th, 2009 at 02:23 PM
jj94 Offline OP
OP Offline
This plant is a ground cover plant. It's a bit invasive and it covers most of the beds that are next to the right and backsides of the house.
[Linked Image]

This plant is the one that my friend gave to me, along with a huge bunch of lamb's ear, daisies, and lemon balm. This one has purple flowers in the summer. It grows about twice to three times of the size that is pictured as of now. The entire plant is cut down in the fall and it grows back in the spring.
[Linked Image]

This vine grows up our mail box. It has large blue flowers in mid to late spring, and the buds are just starting to grow out now. I don't have much information on this at all.
[Linked Image]

Josh
jj94 #279472 May 10th, 2009 at 02:23 PM
jj94 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a different view of the same vine.
[Linked Image]

And this final plant...actually a tree, is in the center of our yard. In the past few years, it was slowly dying. Then last year, I found that another tree had been seeded and was growing beside it and was killing the other tree. I chopped the unwanted tree down and it's long gone. However, I also chopped the dying tree down because it seemed to be certainly dead. I left the stump plus about a foot of the tree trunk intact because I couldn't get it all out of the ground due to the root structure. I just left it there, and earlier this year, I found that it was starting to grow new branches out. I just let it be, and it seems that it's doing well now.
[Linked Image]

A picture of the tree's leaves.
[Linked Image]

Josh
angelblossom #279476 May 10th, 2009 at 02:35 PM
jj94 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Angel. I just edited my previous post and added two more containing the rest of the pics. I think you're right with all of the ones you said. After searching vinca under Google and Wikipedia, seems to be vinca minor? And I do believe after looking up pictures that the vine is a clematis. What I have looks like this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Clematis_Montana_02.jpg - but instead of white, it's purple. I have another one of those vines in the backyard.

Josh
jj94 #279482 May 10th, 2009 at 02:55 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
The one next to the lamb's ear looks like a perennial geranium.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #279484 May 10th, 2009 at 03:29 PM
jj94 Offline OP
OP Offline
I just looked it up. I think it may be. The flowers look similar to some of the varieties of geraniums that came up during the image search. Thanks.

Josh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image