Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I just thought I would post this little update, as I know some of you were concerned for me and my well being. kissie Thank you for that.

I have been feeling very down and out lately.. no energy, no interest.. just plain blah. I was contributing it to depression, which even though I do suffer from it, isn't like me this time of year. Usually I am all gung ho and ready to go play in the dirt and flowers.

Last Wednesday, I had a doctor's appointment.. I scheduled it because I had been feeling plain cruddy. She ordered blood drawn to test my thyroid, I have hypothyroidism, and thought maybe my meds needed to be adjusted. She also ordered a follow up Mammogram for me for a lump I have had for a while.

Thursday, I drove to the hospital for my Mammogram. I was so exhausted that I had to sit down on a bench outside the hospital just walking from the parking lot.. not a far walk.

I was so out of breath and my heart was racing so fast I was unable to even stand for the complete mammogram workup. They would get one film done and I would have to sit down and rest, then get up for one more, then sit and rest. The tech called for some Orange Juice for me.. thinking maybe my blood sugar had dropped. She call for a nurse to come in and she took my blood pressure.. it was 'ok'.. not great, but not bad enough to worry about. I drank my OJ, and sat for a bit.. still didn't feel any better... The nurse tested my blood sugar which was at 156.. she said that was within normal range, but was probably spiky from the OJ.. but I should have been feeling better. Well, they wouldn't let me drive home. So I called a friend to come and get me.

Friday, I called my doctor to tell her what had happened at the hospital and to let her know something else major was going on. I told her I couldn't even walk to my bathroom from the living room without feeling exhausted and my heart racing. The doctor had already left for the day, but the nurse told me I should go to the hospital ER for an EKG and chest X-ray. I didn't go in right away because my daughter had cheerleading try outs Friday late afternoon and I wanted to be there for her. Well, after tryouts, she made it by the way,clap she went home with her best friend and I went to ER with hubby.

To make an already long story short, they admitted me immediately to ICU.. took a hemoglobin count and found out I was VERY low on blood. Normal for a woman my age is 13-15.. I was at 5. No blood, no oxygen = no energy. So... I was given 4 bags of blood and they got my count up to 9 by last night.. and this morning it was at 9.7, so I am making my own and the count is rising. I found out I am very anemic and have an ulcer that has been bleeding.

The doctor said I nearly died.. So now I am on Prilosec to help heal my ulcer and iron supplement to help build my blood supply back up.

I am still very tired and weak. The Dr said it could be 6-8 weeks before I start getting all my strength back. Soooo.. I am kind of at a stand still.. but am feeling better.. just not 100% yet.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ah, Jenneifer. That is tough stuff to deal with. I know. I am glad it doesn't seem to be a permanent condition. And I am very glad you got on top of it.
(and congrats to your daughter, too!)

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you very much!! luv

I am so glad too... at least now I know why I have been feeling the way I have and I know I will be better. I just have to take care of myself.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Knowing why is a great weight off of your mind.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Yeah, no kidding.. and I was beating myself up thinking it was due to my being over weight and out of shape.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jennifer ~ I am glad you are feeling better and that the docs were able to get to the bottom of what was troubling you so. Yes, please do take care of yourself! You are the only Pinkhorseofcourse we have got and what would we do without you?! kissie

Congratulations to your daughter for doing so well in the tryouts. We'll be all ears waiting to hear how she likes the squad.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you so much Merme!! luv I am so thankful also to know what is going on and so looking forward to feeling better soon!!! I knew things were bad when I didn't have the energy or desire to look at all the beautiful flowers this spring!!!

And thanks to the congrats for my daughter!! She was so nervous.. and so was I! lol This is the first year she had to try out, Jr High. She made the squad for football and basketball seasons.. and so did her best friend.. so she/they are absolutely thrilled.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Jennifer while I am so sorry for all that has happened to you, I am glad that the Drs were able to find out what was wrong. it sounds like you are on your way to a complete recovery and for that I am glad---good for you!!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
The transfusion number is 7.8 so it's a wonder you were able to walk at all at 5. Good grief!!! It's a good thing you went to the doctor when you did.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Carol! I too hope I am on the road to a full recovery.. and will hopefully feel better than I have in a very long time.

Sheri, yes, I was lucky.. and the doctor's all made sure I knew that. The scary part is, I thought I was just out of shape and I was forcing myself to go for walks.. and really push myself.. it is a miracle I didn't give myself a heart attack.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I, too, am VERY glad that you went to the doctor and they found out why you were feeling so poorly! That is scarey stuff, Jennifer - please take good care of yourself!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've had people come in for a check up and say they've been exhausted for over a year and have tried everything to perk themselves up only to find out they have an occluded carotid artery. It's amazing they were alive at all. I used to work out at the same time as a woman who was constantly tired and drained. She was working out to try and increase her energy. After many months of no improvement she went to the doc and died with cancer about a year later. Extreme exhaustion should be checked out. I'm talking to myself too. I'd rather do anything than go to the doctor.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image