Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279664 May 11th, 2009 at 04:21 PM
OP Offline
and i don't know what it is or how to stop it. It looks like little bits of cotton or dustbunnies that are killing it leaf by leaf from the bottom up. also the whole plant appears to be covered with a powder. I have photos but I don't know how to upload them.

OP Offline
this is what it looks like

help

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Mealy Bugs??cochineal bugs??? Both attack cactus and succulents

Is it sticky (the white ) Or more like webbing??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Bigmoose. I'm glad you found us even if it was in quest of saving your plant. Excellent job on the pic.
White powder could be powdery mildew, a fungus. The white under the leaves can be one of several things. Another fungus or even something like woolly aphids. I think I would try a spray bottle full of water, a few drops of insecticidal soap (or dish soap) and a tablespoon or so of baking soda. Spray/saturate the plant and watch to see if it helps. Repeat every few days without over-watering the soil if possible.
Some one else may come along with a better idea or a better recipe soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline

Is it sticky (the white ) Or more like webbing??

It's pretty sticky. When i touch it and pull my finger way it stretches out before breaking. So it's kinda like a big clump of spiderweb. I don't know if that helped clarify it.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
It sounds like mealy bugs to me,, , You can wipe off the entire Plant with Rubbing alcohol removing every Piece of white,, then as a follow up the next few days with 50% rubbing alcohol & 50% water and spray your plant.
Remove the plant away from other plants,, IF it was in very close proximedy I would also spray the other plants as a precaution .
OR,,, I would do as Jonni13 mentioned
I would try a spray bottle full of water, a few drops of insecticidal soap (or dish soap) and a tablespoon or so of baking soda. Spray/saturate the plant and watch to see if it helps. Repeat every few days without over-watering the soil if possible.
( the baking soda is the component for fungus. IF you feel you have mealy bugs and there are area's of blackening due to advanced stage of damage then a fungus has developed as a result of extensive damage)

but the most important thing to do first is to remove all the white ,,* mealy Bugs* with either q-tips with alcohol or or an old tooth brush dipped in alcohol.
By your picture and description I feel it's mealy bugs, when I see the first indication of them I've always used rubbing alcohol and wipe entire plant from base to tip, top and under leaves, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the white 'powdery' stuff on the leaves is the normal for that plant. can't quite tell for sure from the side pic, i think it's a graptopetalum or maybe a cross between grapto and echeveria or something else. most grapto's have that 'powdery' look to the leaves and some echeveria do, as well.

as for the white fluff down on the base of the main stem, that's mealy bugs. you can treat them with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol and then touch the bugs with the wet swab - kills them instantly. then, get a fresh swab and dip it and then rub it up/down the stem and around/into the base of the leaves at the stem. you want to get as many eggs as possible. treat again in about 10 days and then again in another 10 days...to get rid of any stragglers that were missed earlier.

keep the plant separate from any others you have until the bugs are gone...they like many different houseplants and it's easy to have a full infestation if you don't quarrantine.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image