Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#280706 May 17th, 2009 at 05:30 PM
OP Offline
Greetings. I have what I would call a mature (it's 15 plus feet in height) holly tree planted in a side courtyard made of cut blue stone. One of the blue stone squares is rising up from the courtyard floor. I lifted the blue stone and set it aside. I noticed one of the roots of the holly tree root system has grown so large in circumference as to cause the blue stone square to rise up.

Question: Can I safely prune or otherwise cut into this specific root of the holly tree? Is it likely that the tree has a number of main roots and so if I were to sever this particular root, the tree would not suffer significantly? Please advise -- and thanks.

Joseph D Kinslow
joekinslow #281664 May 24th, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It won't hurt to cut it. Make sure the cut is not ragged, a clean cut will heal better. You can safely cut a few roots anytime they cause problems.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,988
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image