Print Thread
Rate Thread
#280626 May 17th, 2009 at 11:05 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I was fortunate enough yesterday to get pictures of one of the RAREST mammals in the world, the Cedar Wax Squirrel. These Squirrels are made ENTIRELY of Wax, so must keep their bodies cool at all time. They regulate body temperature by leaking out excess heat through their eyes, staying in the shade, eating cool moist fruits, moving VERY slowly so as to NOT overheat, and by taking frequent naps and rest breaks. The one I've captured is a sweet soon-to-be-Mom Wax Squirrel, so I have the unique opportunity to help increase this rare animal.

Here she is starting to go dormant. Notice the bright body heat shining out through her eyes.
[Linked Image]

Now she sags on the branches and you can see through the LIGHTER glow in her eyes that she is cooling down.
[Linked Image]

AND......She's OUT!
[Linked Image]

She will stay in this Shut-down mode until her body is completely cool then she will rouse, dine on the Mulberries around her, and then SLOWLY go about her business.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #280662 May 17th, 2009 at 02:29 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
WOW

That was scarey.......I keep thinking of a rat the whole time..
You had some story there......

Dont think it is my bag, weather it is rare or not .. But thanks..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #280724 May 17th, 2009 at 08:21 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Are you sure that she is a soon to be Mom? Looks like she is already nursing from those photos. And looks like she is taking a much needed break from to much nursing.
I think that she is so beautiful! I wish that I could get some photos of me hand feeding some of my outdoor squirrels but even though they allow me to feed them they will disappear quickly if anyone else tries to come out and take a photo. The funny thing is now that they have watched the squirrels there are a couple of actual rats that will try to jockey for position among the squirrels to get a nut. The squirrels are very possessive though and try to run the ratties away even though the rats prefer the peanuts. The squirrels really only want the pecans but they have clearly decided that I am their personal treat vending machine.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #280781 May 18th, 2009 at 01:55 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
She is rather large around the middle so I don't think she has given birth yet. She was just filling up with milk which means that birthing is near.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image