#281207 May 21st, 2009 at 02:39 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I'm going to share a little story:

I was watching a special program on tv about the Canadian government trying to draw a new hardiness map. The current Canadian one that we have in Canada varies a bit from the one that the USDA has (I'm a 5b on both) but ours was meant for shrubs and trees instead of flowers and perennials. On the program, there was a gardener (he had a fancy degree/work/education behind him but don't remember now) he was talking about how if the climate changes, gardeners would be the first to know. Really interesting! He used the example of the Russian ivy. It's marginally hardy where he was, and dies completely to the ground. This type of ivy normally stays as a groundcover (much less invasive than English ivy here) but for the past few years it started to climb his wall. It has never been seen growing so well/climbing up a wall up this north in Canada.

He also said that about 20 years ago, his first hard killing frost was the first week of september, but for the past few years, it's been as late as the second week of october. That's an extra month of growing!

One thing that I've read about climate change has to do with bulbous perennials like tulips, daffodils, etc. If they don't get a cold or long enough dormant period, their scapes (the stems that hole the flowers) will be stunted. Same is supposed to apply clivias - they will look like they're flowering from the middle of the leaves without a scape if they don't get enough cold when they're setting buds.

We had frost this monday, and now as i'm typing this, it's 29*C (84*F) outside. It might not seem that great, but 84* at this time in this part of Canada is quite something! If the world keeps warming up, we'll probably have to either bump the zones up or add new, warmer zones...z13 anyone? Not to mention...imagine the next time you're peeling a banana and the sticker says 'product of Canada!'

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #281215 May 21st, 2009 at 03:48 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
boy Kenny that sounds like one interesting show you watched--I imagine the same holds true for the USA---

I guess we just get to wait & see......

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #281236 May 21st, 2009 at 05:01 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
we'll all just move to Canada and work in the banana fields. Interesting.

Bestofour #281261 May 21st, 2009 at 07:11 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
that does sound like an interesting show you caught, kenny.
banana's from canada?

I'm overhearing the news now as I type and they are already talking about hurricane season coming again. We still have Ike depris!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Bestofour #281273 May 21st, 2009 at 08:10 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
we'll all just move to Canada and work in the banana fields. Interesting.

can we all live together in rows close together so we can actually visit??? why

perhaps we can move close to tamara???

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #281400 May 22nd, 2009 at 01:46 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
kenny, I was listening to Science Friday on NPR and it was about this very thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image