Rate Thread
#281990 May 26th, 2009 at 07:48 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
So I have an issue & I am not happy about it. I am here to vent ('cause it won't fix things but it will make me feel a little better).

I was making my evening rounds through the veggie garden last evening, looking mostly for cabbage worms, and slugs on my lettuce (it was a slug weather weekend). I found, maybe 3-4 cabbage worms, total, on 18 brassicas-- in fact, none on the cabbages themselves.

Now, the cabbages are closest to the nasturtiums I planted specifically to help control cabbage worms. I have never planted nasturtiums before, and so I am thinking, "Well, this is good. Nasturtiums are a good companion for cabbage. Cool." AND THEN out of the corner of my eye I spy... a cabbage worm on a nasturtium leaf (they haven't started to blossom yet). And another, and another.

Oh oh. Did I not read all of those companion plant articles & so on correctly? I checked all my tables, I looked at pretty much every site and book about this and they all say brassicas helped by nasturtiums b/c the nasturtiums repel cabbage worms. And then I search for "nasturtium cabbage worm" and what to I see? About a 50/50 split, with 1/2 the results stuff on the benefit of nasturtium to cabbage, and the other 1/2 telling me things like this about the worm:

In addition, it feeds on certain ornamentals, such as nasturtium and alyssum.

It attacks all members of the cabbage or mustard family (this includes cauliflower) and also feeds on nasturtium, sweet alyssum, mignonette and lettuce.

Gravid females are often seen ovipositing on cabbage, nasturtium, etc.

This really ticks me off. If nasturtiums are a good companion to cabbages BECAUSE they attract the worms away from cabbages, someone should just come right out and say this. I have no problem planting sunflowers behind tomatoes to attract aphids away from the tomatoes, because the sunflowers aren't going to be outdone by a bunch of aphids, but come on. I don't want chewed up nasturtiums out there (especially is they are at the very edge of the front yard veggie garden).

O.k. Thanks for letting me rant. Stupid cabbage worms.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #282029 May 26th, 2009 at 02:50 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I didn't specifically notice cabbage worms on my saturtiums the once or twice I grew them, but I did notice a small amount of damage from some sort of skipper larva...I am a "butterfly gardener," among other things, and plant some things to attract moths/butterflies, and tolerate a little damage on other things, but cabbage worms sometimes destroy one crop or more entirely. I imagine you know about Dipel Dust, bacillus thurengiensis ( a non-toxic biological control.) Hit 'em with that, it's the most effective thing I know of, better than soap, pepper spray, or even the dreaded Sevin.
Feel free, however, to vent, it's the next best thing to sending the little boogers packing!
(Care to come take care of my #$%$#$% asparagus beetles? GRRRR!
madd

dave
peppereater #282238 May 27th, 2009 at 06:42 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
They seem to have gone. Just an ebb and flow .... Freaking cabbage worms.

Venting works. I'll pass on the beetles, thanks much.

M

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #282249 May 27th, 2009 at 07:19 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Once my cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are growing I'll come vent right with you. Those worms are so irritating and just plain and simple gross.

Thanks for the "Dipel Dust" reminder pepperearter.....I'll be sure to give it a try this year .... if I can find it in Canada.

By the way have any of you ever tried to use garlic spray. It's organic and I found a web site on the net that sells it especially for gardens and they say it should work for mosquitoes too?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image