Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi there! This is my first post.

I have planted a nice bed of carrots. They came up beautifully, and the tops are gorgeous, full and green. But the roots are tiny. They've been in the ground at least a month now, and the roots don't seem to be getting any bigger.

Any ideas? I live in Raleigh, NC, and the soil has a lot of clay, but we tilled it really well and deep.

The variety I planted is nantes half-long.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hi Lisa Jean & welcome!

I am not a carrot expert by ay stretch of the imagination, so I could be completely off here, but my first thought is it's way too soon to start worrying! First, be sure that you've thinned them according to the seed packet instructions. I think for this variety it's one seedling for every one inch, but check the packet. (If you didn't thin, and the tops are more than a couple of inches tall, use scissors to snip rather than trying to pull.)

This variety of carrot takes about 70 days to mature. Carrots-- the parts we eat-- are roots that are specialized as "storage" structures. After only one month, there's nothing much yet to be "stored"! If the tops are looking good, then I'd say that's good! They are photosynthesizing their little hearts out right now making lots of sugar that's being used to make more tops to do more photosynthesis. The plants won't start "storing" this energy in the roots (as sugar & starch which is why carrots are so delicious) until the season starts changing-- which is the signal to start developing the "carrot".

P.s. My mom's in G'boro & has heavy clay and she grew carrots just fine.

Carrot experts-- does this sound right to you?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Eva Offline
I agree.. It was the same for mine.. It didn't seem like they were growing at root at all, but now they are doing great (at about day 60).

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I tried carrots for the first time this year and when I finally gave up on them and pulled them up, I was just starting to see some nice roots....then of course I slowed down on the 'giving up on them' and gave them some more time.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
what does the package say with regard to how many 'days' they are??? take that number and adjust it as per weather conditions and whether you started the seeds inside or planted them directly in the ground. if you started them inside, take a week or so off the total, if you planted directly in the ground, add at least a week.

i haven't done carrots in a long time - seems to me that it was much longer than 30 days (i planted directly outside) until i had decent sized vegy's...

Zone 6b
OP Offline
Hi everyone! I checked the packet of seeds, and it does say 70 days. I must have gotten the number of days confused with one of my other crops, because I was sure the carrots should have been ready in 35 days.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,948
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image