Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284046 Jun 3rd, 2009 at 08:04 AM
OP Offline
Hey everyone! :)

I live in zone 4 and I would really love to have color from spring through as late fall as possible.

Do y'all have any links I could follow to sort of "collections" of blooming flowers for my zone that will give me an idea what perennials I can plant to make that happen?

So far, for the spring, I'm pretty covered and I have begonias for the late summer--but not much in between or after (if there is anything after.)

Thanks for any direction y'all can give me!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

JRTurner #284068 Jun 3rd, 2009 at 11:29 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I am in zone 4 (borderline zone 5). If you can find some hardy mums they would be fall bloomers. I have a couple that are hardy and come back every year. My lilies bloom in the summer....day lilies, asiatic lilies, etc. I have a hardy hibiscus that blooms in the summer, tall phlox, coneflowers, delphinium, foxglove...there are many that bloom in the summer. I hope you find some that will fit into your garden. Good luck and welcome to the forum!!

#284178 Jun 4th, 2009 at 03:19 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Gladiolus are early to mid summer and if you stagger the planting that helps lengthen the blooming times.

Zinnias will bloom from shortly after they are planted through the first frost without a problem.

Carnations will also bloom from late spring

Blackberry Lilies will bloom through the summer as well.

Here is my list for fall plants, you'll have to check which will do well in your zone.

Fall Blooming flowers categorized by bloom colors available

The perennial grass miscanthus requires full sun and regular water.
The following are examples of colorful flowering plants:
Blue flowers: monkshood, globe thistle, pale-blue flax, bottle gentian
Pink flowers: Aster novae-angliae 'Alma Potschke' or 'Honeysong Pink', Japanese burnet (Sanguisorba obtusa), Sedum 'Vera Jameson', roses, Aster, Suprise Lilies
Yellow flowers: black-eyed Susans, dahlias, perennial sunflowers, ligularia, chrysanthemums, Patrinia scabiosaefolia, goldenrod, marguerite, golden asters
Purple flowers: Joe-Pye weed, asters, Russian sage, ground-hugging spiderwort, autumn crocus, Mexican Sage, Aster, Panzies
White flowers: dahlias, chrysanthemums, sweet autumn clematis, Aster, Suprise Lilies
Warm Color Combinations: Helenium autumnale (red, yellow, orange, combinations)

Red: Pineapple Sage, Suprise Lilies

I hope this helps.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #285163 Jun 10th, 2009 at 06:50 AM
OP Offline
Thank you so very much!!!

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been without internet for the last three days. Figures! I've been dying to know the answer! :)

This helps this newbie garndner immensely! I'm so looking forward to "colorfying" the million green hastas surrounding my tan-brick and tan-painted house. (Can we see monocolor? I think the previous owners took "blend in" to new heights.)

I'll post pictures once I get some of this stuff going. I'll have to do before pictures now (I always forget those!) and then after later on.

Thanks bunches again!!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image