Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284762 Jun 7th, 2009 at 01:10 PM
OP Offline
Hello,

I recently had to hanging baskets on my front porch that had plants in them. They are the moss type of baskets that allow for adequate drainage. I accidentally fertilized them with Mir-acid instead of Miracle-grow and the plants died. :-(

Now, a few weeks later, I have purchased New Guinea Impatiens and put those in the baskets on the shaded porch. After planting them I watered them with Miracle-Grow. Their is a vinca vine growing in the basket with them. It has been three days and the New Guineas are extremely wilted! They are really drooping. The soil is still moist but not soaked. The weather has been wonderful the past few days. Not too hot, not too cold, not humid, mix of sun and clouds and some rain. They do not get rain water on the porch nor direct sunlight. Ample light though on the porch as there are no huge trees in the yard.

What do I need to do to bring them to life? Should I add limestone to the soil in case it is too acidic? Should I put them in direct sunlight a few hours a day? Should I re-pot the whole plant in new soil? Will re-potting them shock them even more?

Thanks

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
new guinneas are pretty persnickety plants, girlpower. if the muratic acid isn't killing them haha I wouldn't replant. (I will not even go into how hard I laughed at the mir-acid/miracle grow mishap) blush
my first thought would be they are not getting enough water, but you say the soil is wet? is there soil in there too, or just peat?
I think they could use more direct sunlight too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image