Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#270012 Mar 21st, 2009 at 09:35 PM
OP Offline
I would like to make a little house out of corn and sun flowers for my kids. Has anybody done this? I would like to know when to start and what kind of soil corn and sun flower like.

Last year a large sun flower grew out of nothing right in front of the entrance and I left it to see what was going to happen. It managed to get so huge I had to stake it and I am sure if I had wanted it to grow there just like that it would not have done so well. I don't know where the seed came from but it was fun.

Anyway, in this corn house maybe I would plant some carrots or something easy so my boys can see how things grow. but they are only 4 so I don't want anything high maintenance I am sure they will not be able to take care of anything yet and I have enough gardening to do all season. So I just want it easy.

Andrea
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm thinking a bean teepee or tunnel might be easier and kinder to climb into. The corn leaves can get a little scratchy?
Your sunflower was probably a gift from a passing bird.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
oh that's so beautiful and romantique idea,surely that your kids will love it:p

OP Offline
It isn't going too well. Only one corn came out and in the pot inside there are only 2. I have some son flowers though and a few holly hocks will make it. But the soil is so bad I guess that is the problem. I just got peat moss yesterday and I went crazy with it everywhere where it is needed.

Andrea

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image