Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#234606 Sep 19th, 2008 at 12:09 PM
OP Offline
hi all jade experts, i need your advice. i read the other threads re: jade and i couldn't find an answer so here goes mine...

i have a 3' jade plant that i've had for 2yrs and it was beautiful and healthy until march '08 when my sister came to visit and she cut off a branch (without my permission, i must say). she said my jade would be fine and the branch (which she placed in a vase of water) would grow roots and into a new plant. she was WRONG!!

a week later, my jade shriveled up, looks unhealthy and continues to drop leaves. i was horrified! the plant is not in direct sun (about 10' from the window) and i only water it once a month. i haven't changed it's position nor the watering schedule since the crisis occurred. the only thing i've changed is adding plant food (Schultz plant food plus) to the water whenever i water it once a month.

it's been 6 months now and my jade still looks horrible. in addition, the branch that was placed in water never grew any roots...i think it's dead. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO. below is the link to before and after pix. i only have 1 before pic but you should be able to tell how beautiful, plump and healthy it used to be. http://picasaweb.google.com/ellabaes/JadePlantBeforeAfter#

THANKS!!!
ella

ellab
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I would stop fertilizing and give the plant a chance to recuperate. Also it's the time of year when you want to decrease the amount of water.

Stem cuttings I put in cactus soil and wait for them to root. Watering them just like I do with mature jade plants. Which is alittle more often but small amounts. I don't do much with water rooting because the water roots don't transfer to soil well for me.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
tkhooper, thanks for the response. how long will the plant need to recuperate? it's already been 6 months. like i said, i only water it once every 4 wks. do i need to water it less than that?

and why did this happen in the first place? i don't understand why cutting off a branch can have such an effect on my jade plant. can someone explain this to me? thanks!

ellab
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well it's going into winter when the jade goes dormant so you probably won't see much difference until the spring. But is should stop loosing leaves and drying up.

If you ever want to take a stem cutting remember to take it in the fall after the plant has stopped growing. Let the cut heal for a few days and then put it in moist soil until it begins to make roots and then cut back on the water.

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
jades don't need fertilizer. just plain water. that's the problem - not the branch that was taken off.

watering once a month, as long as it's a thorough watering, is fine for that size container. continue with that schedule (minus the fert) and you should see the plant recovering over the winter.

mine seem to get a growth spurt around january. yours may as well - i'm not sure how higher elevation would affect that. most of mine are in southern to western facing windows - so the lower sun mid-winter gets to them better and i think that brings on the growth spurt.

it may take until spring to see any real difference. these are pretty darn hardy plants, so it should recover and stop pouting.

boy!!!! i'm envious!!! that's a real beauty - even in it's not-so-good state!!

edit:

jades should NOT be rooted in water. they can just go straight into soil once the cut end has dried/calloused over for a few days/a week. once planted, let it sit in the soil for a week and then water it thoroughly and then get it on a regular watering schedule.

Last edited by Joclyn; Oct 1st, 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Zone 6b
OP Offline
thx joclyn & tkhooper for all your advice. i've stopped fertilizing for a month now and placed the cut branch in soil. no change yet. i'll keep you posted next spring and let you know if it gets better or worse...i'm hoping for better.

ellab
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
no change is better than worse thumbup jades grow slow this time of year.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
they do go kind of dormant for the winter, so you probably won't see too much growth (new leaves). even if it was summer, you wouldn't see too much leaf growth. the roots need to get established first.

let the soil dry very, very thoroughly before watering again. once spring starts, you can water a little more frequently (when soil is dry, not very, very dry).

i tend to see a bit of growth spurt around end of january/beginning of february with mine that are in the west-facing window. it's something with the angle of the sun at that time of year. my wandering jew (in that same window) blooms then, too. i never knew they bloomed!

jades can bloom, too. i've not been lucky enough to experience it though. they're very lovely flowers - tiny, though.

you're at a higher elevation and i don't know how that affects plants - you may or may not see a growth spurt mid-winter. you'll definitely see something happening once spring hits, though! keep us posted on what's going on!

Zone 6b
OP Offline
i just wanted to follow up on my jade. it's been 7 months now and my jade is finally back to normal. many new leaves have grown and it looks so much healthier now. i notice some of the old leaves a still a bit wrinkled but not as badly as before. thanks everyone for your advice. i'm a happy girl now!! ;D

ellab
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i'm glad it's doing better!!!

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
I just found this post and I'm glad to read that your jade is doing better. I went to your pictures and could have cried for you. So I was really glad to read your update. Never give up on a jade....my experience too.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image