Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284801 Jun 7th, 2009 at 05:52 PM
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

Please help me!! I woke yesterday to notice one of my broccoli plants was wilting a little bit. By daysa end yesterday most of my entire garden was wilting. By nightfall most of them had came back a bit and started looking good again. So this morning when I checked on them they were looking good but again as the day went on they all wilted this time and looked a little worse by the days end.

I live in north - eastern maryland. I have tomatoe, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green/red peppers and green beans. The weather recently had been two straight days of "down pour" type rain followed by yesterday and today being in the 80s and sunny. I had recently taken some "maybe not so good advice" by someone to place newspaper topped by grass clippings over the ground in the garden to help prevent weeds. this is what I think maybe helping this to happen. The reason I think this is because in my bed where I have my cucumber and Zucc idnt do this and they are doing great!! Please help me. please please please.

Thanks.. prayers

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Orac. Were the newspapers wet? It sounds like the covering you are using is not allowing sufficient water to get to your plant roots. Shedding it away from the plants instead of where it needs to be. Try removing it away from your plants a bit and/or poke holes through it. And then next year make sure it allows water through to the soil.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #284890 Jun 8th, 2009 at 07:41 AM
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jonni for your advice. Late lastnight I had taken most of the newspaper up. So far this morning they look "okay" some seem to be recovering a bit. Hopefully they don't start wilting as the day goes on. But, so far so good I suppose. I greatly appreciate the advice. This site is great!!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I totally agree with tina, water isn't getting past the newspapers. You can use them if you allow space enough for water to reach the plants' roots.
Don't forget that plants need air to reach the root zone, too, even roots "breathe."

Last edited by peppereater; Jun 8th, 2009 at 12:36 PM.

dave
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I use newspaper and grass clippings and have never had a prob. I guess I do have spacing around the actual plant though.

how many layers of newspaper did you put?

I only use one layer, sometimes two. but, after a few days or a week the newspaper starts breaking down. I don't know how long you've had the paper down but it seems like it should already have holes in it?

Last edited by cricket; Jun 8th, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline
I only used one layer and when I removed the grass yesterday the newspaper was pretty much broken down. The grass seemed as if it was rotting and had a horrible smell after two straight days of hard rain. Is there any way that something from either the grass or the newspaper leeched into the soil poisoning the plants some how? Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Today I had more of the same...day started off "okay" but plants wilted again. They are showing signs of being on their "last leg" now....it would seem that three days of this is as much as they can take. Some seem to be surviving. For example...all five of my strawberries are doing great, one brussel, one broccoloi and one tomatoe are doing great too....all in the same garden. I appreciate the help. This is very sad....it was doing soooooo well up until saturday. I'll keep trying!!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
what your describing reminds me of a 'squash bore'. maybe you have some similar dirt bug that is eating your roots? the plants will look like they are not getting enough water since they are wilting, but what happens with the bore is it eats the roots. (so still the plant is not getting enough water)

Cricket

orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline
Would a normal pesticide such as agrub killer work on these you think?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
I use newspaper and grass clippings and have never had a prob. I guess I do have spacing around the actual plant though.

how many layers of newspaper did you put?

I only use one layer, sometimes two. but, after a few days or a week the newspaper starts breaking down. I don't know how long you've had the paper down but it seems like it should already have holes in it?

I agree with cricket.

I use newspaper and grass as mulch and have never had issues with it.--I even add extra grass clippings as time goes on to reinforce the cover. I think I would have left the newspapers and stuck a pitch fork or a stick down in the newspaper around the plants to insure water and air flow for each plant.

let us know how the pest thing turns out.

Good Luck and welcome to you. wavy

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by orac95
Would a normal pesticide such as agrub killer work on these you think?

I don't know? I've never reserched it much since the only time I have this prob is with yellow squash. I plant them and tell them 'live or die'....'good luck'. lol
btw.....personnaly, I do NOT use any type of pesticide around my veggie garden, cause I know I'll eventually be eating it, in some way or another.
my sugguestion would be to google up something like 'garden pests bore'....or 'garden pests bore bug'. maybe there is some organic way to treat for those....if that is indeed what you think might be happening.???
I'm no expert.

best of luck! thumbup

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
pull up a plant and see how much roots it has, orac95???
that could help you determine if you have a soil bug eating the roots.

Cricket

orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

good advice I'll pull one up today to see. Didn't think of that before. You guys rock...I appreciate all the advice. By the way...the plants are still hanging on.lol

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by orac95

good advice I'll pull one up today to see. Didn't think of that before. You guys rock...I appreciate all the advice. By the way...the plants are still hanging on.lol

Feel free to keep asking, and adding information, lots of us like trying to solve mystery issues... thumbup
It always helps everyone in the long run.

dave
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline
FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!! I gently up-rooted one og my broccoli plants and there they were...root maggots. I came in and looked up "root eating insects" and the root maggot was on the list and the pis was exactly what i saw on the root. bad news is that they say you usually can't save the plant. The first time I up- rooted a pepper I must not have looked close enough! Thank you guys for all your help...after all I wouldn't have thought to take a plant up if you hadn't suggested it! I am soooo relieved even though they destroyed my garden atleast I know how to prevent it next time!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Well, if you don't mind, could you link us to the site, or write out the info. you linked to? It could be helpful to the rest of us, especially us older (late forties) gardeners! egad

dave
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

The following link should work. Sorry, I didnt even think of linking the site I was so excited when I figured it out. lol

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pro...root-maggots-and-root-maggot-control.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image