Print Thread
Rate Thread
#286381 Jun 19th, 2009 at 09:59 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
OP Offline
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I've already tasted a few Sweet 100 cherries and an Early Girl big enough to slice for 2 sandwiches...I know I always badmouth hybrids, but these were the best tomatoes I've had in months, I'd love to have a bushel of 'em!
Here are some pics of some greenies of different kinds...
Guernsey Pink Blush
[Linked Image]

the first Cherokee Purple
[Linked Image]

Sungold (yes, another hybrid, but it comes highly recommended)
[Linked Image]

mystery tomato, it should be Bloody Butcher, the fruit looks right but the leaves don't
[Linked Image]

Hurry up and ripen!

dave
peppereater #286382 Jun 19th, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
all I got are blooms...I want tomatoes too boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #286388 Jun 19th, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
OP Offline
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I don't remember when largish fruit followed so soon after blossoms. Waiting and watching for greenies to ripen is sheer torture, though, it always seems to take forever. tears

dave
peppereater #286389 Jun 19th, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I love cherry tomatoes, I can stand right there, pick them off and eat as I pick them off

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #286397 Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
OP Offline
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by suzydaze
I love cherry tomatoes, I can stand right there, pick them off and eat as I pick them off

That is by far the best part of growing organically! bop clap

dave
peppereater #286401 Jun 19th, 2009 at 01:17 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

I do have a lot of tomatoes, but no close ups yet. These are some Hungarian & bell peppers I potted up last fall and moved inside. Glad I did. The Hungarians are about ready to eat on salads!

Here's the funny part about my tomatoes. I have 20 plants, 6 varieties (I think) all but one heirloom. And I don't particularly care for tomatoes. In fact, I do not care for them. I do like sauce, though, and I do love DH. Obviously, or the tomato garden wouldn't get that prime real estate.

Last edited by Marica; Jun 19th, 2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added dislike of tomatoes

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #286402 Jun 19th, 2009 at 01:37 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
OP Offline
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Haha, it's funny, but there are a lot of people who like tomatoes for salsa and sauce, but not fresh.
I'd like to do a survey sometime and see how many like the fresh for BLT's or in salad, I'd bet the number of fans would go up...
I've also known growers who finally found a variety they liked fresh, and then gradually discovered some others they liked.
It's a good thing you love DH, the world needs to have tomatoes, more tomatoes, and if it takes a DH to get you to grow 'em, well, good enough!
(what don't you like about tomatoes? Too acidy? Too tasteless? We will find something you like!!!!!!!! devil) Now, I can't say the same for beets or okra, seems there's just no way to convince some people about those. uhuhh
Oh, BTW, good work on overwintering the peppers, I've managed to keep a couple plants for 2 years, and one thing I'm concentrating on this year is keeping six or 12 in containers for winter snacking and a headstart next spring. Evidently there's no reason you couldn't keep peppers going for at least several years, they are a true perrenial.

Last edited by peppereater; Jun 19th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.

dave
peppereater #286409 Jun 19th, 2009 at 02:06 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
O.k. I got out there b/c I needed to anyway. You all will see why.

Early girl [Linked Image]

German Johnson [Linked Image]

Golden dwarf (I presume) [Linked Image]

And... so I started three inside. Golden drarf, Pink shipper, and Better boy. I used plastic forks and PERMANENT marker to identify them. Stuck the forks in the front. Permanent my ... . So I'm guessing the one above, since it's a very small stocky plant, is the dwarf (there're tomatoes just no pic of them). Which leaves me with three rows, two of them must be the same. I know eventually I'll figure it out, but curious if you all have a clue!

Clueless 1:
[Linked Image]

Clueless 2:
[Linked Image]

Clueless 3
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #286424 Jun 19th, 2009 at 04:15 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
do you guys over winter the plants in a greenhouse or what?

Marica #286428 Jun 19th, 2009 at 04:26 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
OP Offline
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Well, I'd desiganate many of mine as clueless, questionable, and fairly likely, I do take considerable effort to monitor accurately reliable purity when saving seed, a few simple precautions typically ensure something like 95% or better odds that all seed are reliably pure. Aside from quite extreme separation distances or very careful "bagging" of blossoms, few practices provide much insurance against crosses, and small percemtages like 2 to 5 percent apparently are acceptable. I'll go out on a limb and say the German johnson is correct, and eraly girl fruit looks correct, but I cant' vouche for the foliage without more pics...the dwarf leavesmake sence, but I can't swear anthing is obvious, keep in mind i've only grown so many years and somany varieties, but there are plenty of clues for a really observant gardener...
I'm open to any questions just now, in part because I have so much to learn, stil, there's nothig like having to try to come up with an answer to keep one honest, and maybe lead to doing a litle reseach...Please, all, do feel free to ask away! It will only keep me honest!

dave
Marica #286460 Jun 19th, 2009 at 07:01 PM
Your Mystery #2 looks like my better boy

mutantmatt #286488 Jun 20th, 2009 at 05:42 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Thanks! I was also thinking better boy on that one. Time will of course tell, and like Dave says, I can then correlate fine-grained differences in foliage, flower, fruit set, etc. with the reality of what varieties they are.

As to over-wintering. I am lucky to have two sunrooms in the front of my house. They don't have the best aspect-- they face east so one is the northeast & the other southeast-- and they are drafty b/c it's on old house, and as winter wears on they are dry (although I run humidifiers)... but they good enough. Toward March, things start to look a bit shabby, too. But I can keep them alive!

The other thing, too, about bringing them indoors is that I can extend the season in the fall. As I recall, I was picking anaheim peppers into December.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image