Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi there,

I bought a peace lily a couple of days ago, and when I brought it back I noticed it had a small hole in one of the leaves.

Here's a picture: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6646/peacelily14062009closeu.jpg

It looks like it was made from a pest or fungus?

Hoping someone may help clarify.

All the other leaves seem fine. Here's a picture of the whole plant: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7743/peacelily14062009.jpg

Also I'm going to water it about once a week, it's currently in I think a 120mm pot and I'd water it until water starts coming out of the bottom seems to be an indicator

I'm very new to gardening and plants, this is one that sits next to my computer. I read it acts as a good air filter too through the roots & soil.

Should I pluck the leaf? Leave it as is? Open to any suggestions or thoughts

Cheers

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
That looks like simple "mechanical" damage, just a spot where the leaf was damaged, not where disease is attacking.
Your greatest challenge here is to keep the moisture level adequate. My advice would be to lift the plant and get a sense of when it's dry or wet, it will resent either too much or too little water, but if you're new to growing, I hesitate to advise transplanting to a larger container and new soil.
You're on a learning curve, so please continue to post questions.

dave
OP Offline
Thanks peppereater, I was thinking I'd wait 6 months before transporting to a larger pot, maybe a size or two up.

Also I have an area underneath the pot where excess water drains, quite large not just a saucer. Would it still be possible to overwater it if the excess water just runs through, and I empty the bottom every now and then so it never touches the container above?

With indoor plants is it advisable to even have drainage holes? Or simply managing the amount of water you give it is adequate?

1k Posts
1k Posts
In door plants should always have drainage holes and then still learn to read your plant and it's soil for moisture. You have one beautiful plant there, hope you can keep it that way.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Oh by the way I agree with Dave your plant leaf was probably just damaged somehow.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Well, my comment about moisture is because I have really struggled to keep plants alive in small containers, you're doing great!
It will not hurt to have a small amount of residual water in the tray or saucer beneath, that only means the pot isn't overly dry. Some people practice only bottom watering, the soil will take up what it wants without drowning the plant, and yes, you MUST have drainage holes unless you're truly skilled, moreso than I am!
I'd say what works for now is great...I would have trouble keeping a plant alive in such a container, but stick to your routine, and keep reading posts about transplanting until you feel comfortable with that, that small pot and the soil the plant is in is achallenge as far as watering goes...be very careful when fertilizing, maybe 1/4 strength MG or a similar food once a month or so for now. Your thumb is greener than you think, good job!@

dave
Hello to All
I have a rubber tree that has white spots on a couple of the leaves, they dont wipe off or scratch off! Could any one help me with identifying this and a remedy would also be Great!!!
Thank You In Advance

Kathy02151

Kathy02151 [email]
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Oh, hi kathy, I missed this post, can you describe the spots or post a pic?

dave
OP Offline
Thanks I do have drainage holes and have read that it's best to water them well once in a while, rather than little bits of water frequently as it will push the air out of the soil. I am also misting the leaves every couple of days or so.

It's fairly new so I haven't really had a chance to kill it yet! :)

peppereater: Do you mean lift the plant out of the soil, or lift it in the container to feel the weight? I do have digital scales so I could weigh it get the right weight, or maybe a moisture meter to tell me if its dry?

I really only have room for one plant in my room, so I'd like to take care of it

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image