Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#286604 Jun 21st, 2009 at 07:22 AM
orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a small slug problem in my cuc and zuchinni bed. not horrible yet, but would like to head it off. Does the store bought Slug/Snail bait work at all? Just wondering if anyone had any success or not controlling slugs with it.

Ryan

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
The commercial stuff (granular) does work. There are also a lot of home remedies. This site should help:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/slugs.html

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Something else you could try........place broken egg shells around your plants. Slugs don't like traveling over them.

Carol

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
let me know if anything works. This morning I was in the yard at 1:30 (couldn't sleep) to let the dog out. There were big slugs everywhere crawling on the grass. I thought they liked moist areas but these were out on the dry grass

orac95 Offline OP
OP Offline

Seems like the bait may have helped. Not sure because as of earlier today I caught a semi large toad hanging out around my cucs and zucs. He may be working better that the bait. lol. But I do think the bait has helped some.

Ryan

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I wish I had a toad or three.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
I wish I had a toad or three.

I used to have tons, but thanks to The snake, I seem to be lacking this year.
As far as Slug bait.. Did you folks ever read the label on that stuff?? I would not even have it in my yard. ITs really dangerous, I have kittys, and I dont want to poison my birds and toads Another thing that works is Diatonasious earth.. Not sure of spelling. But it is really white powdery stuff that is actually ground of sea shells, It cuts there skin when they crawl over it, works even better than egg shells, and wont hurt anything. I have found it in health food stores, but I think maybe garden center as well. grin

[Linked Image]
The baits containing metaldehyde as the active ingredient work very well against both slugs and snails, and they've been safely used for many decades. Moreover, metaldehyde has the advantage of decomposing into harmless compounds in the soil, with a half-life of only a few days. Read more about it at toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Metaldehyde, under "Environmental Effects".

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
The gardenhelp has great home remedies that kill slugs
Click here and scroll down to find out how

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image