Rate Thread
#287076 Jun 24th, 2009 at 07:12 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
this bird has been watching me for weeks now. every time i go to the one flower bed to do anything, he's there - and close. in fact, he's walked right up to me...and gotten within 3 feet. when i'm walking any of the ferrets, he's there - and stays close. he even did a 'fly-by' when i was in the back yard (he usually bothers me out front). once, i had obi on the leash and was looking at him...the bird flew by SO close i felt the draft from his wings on my legs!!

i couldn't figure out why he was doing this. the neighbors tree, out front, is very tall, so, i wouldn't be near any nest. i didn't think they'd have built in the bush since it's right at the front sidewalk and the walkway up to my porch - so, there's a lot of activity nearby and all day long, too...

well, they DID build a nest in that bush!

he actually ATTACKED me tonight!! four times too!!! came back for one last bit when i had already moved away...

k. i tried looking it up on the cornell site and couldn't find a match. didn't have time to check anywhere else and i know thorny will know what it is.

so, here are some pics - the one is a bit blurry cuz i was in a rush to get outta there!! they've got white markings on the wings and tail - most of the white is on the undersides (i couldn't get a shot of the white on the tail):

mama in the nest (clickable for larger)

[Linked Image]

with all their coming/going, they've created a hole in the canopy...at least it's not on the side facing the front sidewalk. this was the best shot i could get for the moment...i went up onto the path to the porch to get a better shot, since that's higher than the driveway, and that's when he first came at me. so, i'll get the heavy-duty zoom lens out tomorrow and take a better pic from the porch.

papa

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

blurry, yes. you can see the white on the underside of the wings though.

so, what kind of birds are they???

Zone 6b
#287082 Jun 24th, 2009 at 08:19 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Those are Northern Mockingbirds. They are VERY aggressive, ESPECIALLY towards predatory animals like, cats and ferrets and also aggressive towards Starlings. They are NOT scared of people and will let you come up to within a couple of feet of them or will fly and land next to you to see what you are doing. You are correct! They ARE protecting their nest and will NOT hesitate to attack and do bodily injury to you if they think you are threatening their nest. Later when they babies are gone, they will come up to you for a snack and to LITERALLY socialize. They like to eat peanut flavored suet, apples, grapes, and grape Jelly. I have had the same male in my yard for 6 years. I call him Mr. Mocky and we have the most AMAZING relationship.

AN APPLE A DAY, BRINGS MR. MOCKY IN CLOSER!
[Linked Image]

MR. MOCKY MEETS......GODZILLA!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #287085 Jun 24th, 2009 at 08:35 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
thanks, thorny!!

you know, i DID kind of think initially, that he was just being curious about what i was doing when i was doing the weeding - he did literally walk/hop over to within a few feet of me.

he had absolutely NO interest in obi...at first obi didn't see him and then i picked him up to walk away quicker and when the bird came at me (thankfully from behind), obi tried to jump for him.

funny to be scared of a bird that is so small - yet, i was!!

k. the mama was flying around a couple days ago and i really haven't seen her too much, so, there are obviously eggs. do you know how long incubation is? and how long the chicks will be in the nest??

i'm going to have to do weeding again at some point as well as basic maintenance on the various flowers in that bed...

if i bribe them with peanut butter suet, think he'll leave me be if i get close?? i can hang one right on the bush...

Zone 6b
Joclyn #287089 Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Eva Offline
Mr. Mocky is so cute!!! Hubby is a huge Godzilla fan.. He laughed so hard when I showed him the pix!

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #287127 Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:31 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Cindy, smear some peanut butter on some apple slices and put them out on a platform and then hand out some peanut flavored suet. You're very close to me in Kentucky. You should have LOTS of Mockingbirds there. Do this, and hopefully you'll have a Mocker adopting you very quickly.

HEY! Who ISN'T a Godzilla fan, Eva?

Joclyn, I don't think they'll mind much if you weed. When you leave they'll go back to the nest.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #287129 Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:54 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
well, to do the weeding, i'll have to be MUCH closer than i was last night...

he he attacked me when i was 4-5 feet away; he'll definitely go ballistic if i'm within a foot of the nest!!

the thing that concerns me, now, is that i didn't see him this morning. he's ALWAYS on my front porch roof at some point when i'm getting dressed in the morning...and the cat is always making noises because he can see papabird (yet, can't get to him).

i hope they didn't/don't abandon the nest!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #287135 Jun 25th, 2009 at 01:30 PM
Eva Offline
Thornus- True! I was just saying that as a person sitting next to a 2 foot tall die-cast model of Godzilla! The computer is in hubby' "playroom" which is full of them.... LOL!

Joclyn- I hope they didn't, bless their little hearts..

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #287138 Jun 25th, 2009 at 03:04 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Mockingbirds have a fairly large area they patrol, approximately 200 yards in diameter. Therefore you may not see them constantly. If they have babies or even eggs it is doubtful they will abandon the nest unless something terrible has happened.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #288459 Jul 4th, 2009 at 05:24 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thorney I did it and they ate! I put apple slices with peanut butter on a water catcher base,,, first thing in the morning this past week,, It took about 40 minutes but one of them flew over and took one about 10 minutes later another one came grin My battery for the camera was on the charger Shoooooooot! But I'll get a picture,,! Follow Thorneys advice it works!!! clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #288464 Jul 4th, 2009 at 07:06 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Mockers love, Love, LOVE!!! Apples (and peanut butter). Learn the habits and preferences for as many different kinds of birds that you can, and then set up your yard accordingly. If you do this, you will get TONS of your favorite birds, in the ideal situations, to observe and photograph.

Also, set up your chair and camera OUTSIDE about 10 - 15 feet away from your feeders and spend a lot of time out there. The birds will soon get used to you and will quickly come to actually enjoy seeing you.

Last edited by Thornius; Jul 4th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #296004 Sep 24th, 2009 at 11:27 AM
Mockers are very aggressive towards dogs too. I just think it's so funny when my dogs head out to the wooded area to take care of business. Mockers if nesting close by always seem to swoop down on the dog's back when heading out and coming back towards the house.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image