Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#287100 Jun 25th, 2009 at 04:05 AM
OP Offline
Has anyone else in PA noticed how slow their garden is growing? OR am I the only one? My tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and other things are way behind schedule. I assume it is the cool weather and rain. However I did put newspaper and straw down as a mulch so maybe that is keeping the soil cool. I know the slugs love it.
I was frustrated with the black plastic rutine so I went with straw and newspaper. It is painful to put out good beer for the slugs but it sure works. any comments?

DagoRed154 #287101 Jun 25th, 2009 at 04:27 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by DagoRed154
It is painful to put out good beer for the slugs but it sure works. any comments?

Sorry, I'm not in PA so I can't comment on the situation. But I feel your pain and have one suggestion: cheap beer. haha (Shaeffer comes to mind!)

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #287121 Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I agree with Marica. Good beer? NEVER.
It seems gardens everywhere had a bit of a late start. Soil temp, in my opinion, is the biggest factor in plant growth, so long as there is adequate nutrients.
It is sometimes good to go easy on mulch until the plants take off, but it sounds like things will go okay...plants will simply blast off when conditions are right.
Marica... neener

dave
peppereater #287126 Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Agree with Dave. Things here were off to a slow start, but these few days of 90+ have really kicked it. Also agree with mulching too early, especially seedlings or true summer crops like beans & squash (transplants not so much).

Be sure to take pics, Dago! When I think things aren't going well, it always makes me feel better to see the pics I took two weeks ago. Wow! Things are growing. On the flip side was the lettuce. One day it's sitting happily in the garden, just being picked a salad at a time, and then next... . Caught it just before it bolted.

I hear ya, Dave. Questions for you coming soon.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
DagoRed154 #287128 Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by DagoRed154
Has anyone else in PA noticed how slow their garden is growing? OR am I the only one? My tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and other things are way behind schedule. I assume it is the cool weather and rain. However I did put newspaper and straw down as a mulch so maybe that is keeping the soil cool. I know the slugs love it.
I was frustrated with the black plastic rutine so I went with straw and newspaper. It is painful to put out good beer for the slugs but it sure works. any comments?

I'm also from PA and believe we were off to a slow start, but have recently had a surge in growth. We've already picked lettuce, snap peas, and carrots just last night. I've spotted some little tomatoes growing along with pumpkins, zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash.

The only veggies that seem to still be lagging behind are my peppers and eggplant. I'm sure those will take off as well as long as we keep having these mid to high 80s.

Life is a garden...dig it
danielp #287137 Jun 25th, 2009 at 03:01 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone. I just needed someone to hold my hand. I mulched early because of the weeds. If there is ever a medal for growing the best weeds I would be in the running for it. seems everytime I use a neighbor's horse, goat, sheep, or hog manure I get a different set of weeds. It could be nicely composted and I still get weeds. UGH!

Dagored

DagoRed154 #287148 Jun 25th, 2009 at 05:02 PM
OP Offline
Another thing I should share. I tried to kill slugs with Lite Beer last year and found that it does not work. I don't like Lite beer either so the slugs and I have something in common. The cheapest beer I could find was 13.50 a case, guess I need to go to a different beer distributor.

DagoRed154 #287174 Jun 25th, 2009 at 05:59 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Here's a thought. Slugs do not differentiate between drinkable and undrinkable beer. They are happy with the dregs. !!! Pour the slop into a dish and let them drown. No waste.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image