Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#287033 Jun 24th, 2009 at 09:26 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone have any idea why my female pumpkins won't bloom for the males, or why my nice looking green beans feel soft and hollow?

rstripling
rstripling #287042 Jun 24th, 2009 at 10:36 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I didn't realize that pupkins had differentiated sexes. If you see a rounded base on a bloom, before or after the bloom wilts, you have a fertilized bloom. Squash do this, and I'm not sure there is any difference.
You may be waiting to long to pick the green beans, and the plant puts is't emphasis on the developing bean instead of the pod. Break open a few and see what y ou find. I'd be curious, myself, I hope you'll share your findings.

dave
rstripling #287052 Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by rstripling
Does anyone have any idea why my female pumpkins won't bloom for the males,...

So first off, this made me laugh out loud! Thanks.

Be back with a response for you & Dave in a bit. Pretty sure flowers are uni-sex.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #287055 Jun 24th, 2009 at 01:28 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Ha, Ha, Ha. neenee
I don't know about cucurbits much, so arrest me! :wink:
I've read about eating squash blossoms...what I read was that for those who want the blossoms to eat, pick the male blossoms, the females will have a swollen area at the base of the blossom. SO THERE, Dr. Kildare. neenee
No, I really have no idea other than that. Ask me about something else.

dave
peppereater #287261 Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Thank you all for your funny comments. You have made my day. I do know that the male flowers open first , they are large and beautiful and they have a stamin. The females are on shorter stems and havea bunch of little "buttons" instead of a stamin. Bees and ants do the pollinating, if you have neither in your garden, you can do it yourself with a paint brush or a q-tip. I got my info from a site called The PumpkinNook.com. Also the males do not have the bump wich becomes your pumpkin. That's about the extent of my knowledge!

re: the green beans. I did break open a few. One large and 3 small ones. There are tiny little beans inside, They do not look edible to me.

thanks

[Linked Image]

Last edited by missd; Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added picture

missd
missd #287289 Jun 26th, 2009 at 02:56 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
You're right about the male and female flowers on squash and zucchini too, but I'm not too sure what you're really asking about female pumpkins.

We usually like to pick the beans when they're on the young side or as you state with tiny little beans on the inside. They are edible if you pick them older too.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #287298 Jun 26th, 2009 at 03:24 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I don't know much about veggies other than tomatoes, peppers and a little about the other veg's.
What type of green beans are they? I'm thinking that with adequate water and a light dose of fertilizer, you'll be harvesting well into the fall. You might try picking as early as possible, very young, so that the vines continue to put on fresh pods. Just a thought, but they would be tender and that would force the vines tokeep putting on more.

dave
peppereater #287333 Jun 26th, 2009 at 06:57 PM
Thanks to all who replied...I have some experimenting to do

missd

missd
missd #287340 Jun 26th, 2009 at 07:12 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I like to pick my green beans early too. they are sweeter! I'd say pick the smaller ones and see what they taste like. the bean part inside does stay small???

you said bees and ants pollinate pumpkins??? interesting. maybe thats why my garden is full of pumpkin vine and not a pumpkin in site??? I have seen only a couple of honey bees this entire year. mainly wasps and butterflies......guess I should have thought about hand pollinating earlier....maybe it's not too late? I've had lots of those swollen buds though. I kept thinking..ok THAT'S a pumpkin...but then nothing ever happens with it.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #287726 Jun 29th, 2009 at 09:38 PM
This was posted on the other forum, but here it is for all of you:

Re: No Pumpkins

I started with a packet of American seed Jack-o-Lantern seeds. I planted them in 3 hills in full sun. They were thinned to 3 per hill when they had 5-6 leaves per plant. They grew fast and by mid-April I had 4-5 large male flowers every morning, but no females. Now I am down to maybe 1 a day and it is usually really small. Still no females and a lot of the leaves have died off.

Here's what I have done so far, based on what I learned on-line. I covered the parent vines with new potting soil and mulch. Watered deeply and sprayed them with Miracle Grow. I also learned that if the temperature gets into the 90's the females experience plant-stress and will not bloom at all. Well, as everyone probably knows, we have had 100-105 degress days for 30 days in a row. We are on stage2 water restrictions. My garden was watered every night, or morning, with a hand held hose. We can only run the sprinkler one day a week. I am sure the temps had something to do with this.

missd

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,900
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image