Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hi Everyone!! wavy

I have recently come to the conclusion I would like to redo my kitchen. I am very interested in the Primitive decor look. BUT... I am not sure what it is I want to do. I have been trying to get some ideas from the internet, but haven't come up with a whole lot yet.

I have fake wood cabinets, so painting them is no big deal. First I thought maybe black with the edges sanded to give that distressed look, but then I got to thinking maybe black would be too drastic.. unless I painted the walls a nice cream color. Right now the walls are papered in a cute country design that I do still like and might possibly be able to keep... Not sure.

I have a round wooden kitchen table that I think I will paint black. Just the legs and trim.. and the backs on the chairs.. not the table top or the seats.. I will leave them wood.

I love Longaberger baskets and pottery and have several pieces. My colors in the pottery is Parprika, Butternut and Sage. ( I couldn't decide on just one neenee )

My major appliances are white.. I have one window over my sink and my kitchen is fairly small but open.

I had considered trying a theme of Sunflowers set with hunter green in my kitchen.. but am not sure that is going to give the 'proper' primitive feel to it.

I am more than happy to take some pictures if anyone would like to see what I have to start with.

I would love any suggestions for things to do, or even websites to check out. I am very excited and hoping to get it done fairly soon.

Thanks all!! kissie

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: wondering if this isn't allowed.. no replies =(
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, I would love to see pictures. A few pictures would help me understand what you are trying to accomplish with what you already have.

This topic might do better in Hobbies, so you can ask one of the hostesses to move it for you.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Primitive made me thing of that caveman look, maybe I'm just not awake yet this morning

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, i am probably right into primitive myself. I'm not sure what it means myself.
I do know my kitchen is certainly distressed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I will have to get some pictures later.. I was just jumping on here for a minute to see if I had any replies.

Many of you had asked what primitive decor looks like.. it is hard to explain.. but you could google primitive home decor and get an idea.

I will ask about having this thread moved to Hobbies. Thanks ladies!!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
I am very interested in the Primitive decor look.

What does that mean? why

I've never heard of it either so I looked it up.

My observation is that it's using antique sinks and or other antique(ish) large items cabinets,, Pie pantry etc. Also displaying working antique toasters, blenders etc, as well as using wood. Or re using woods from say a torn down barn, and heavy hardware applied all that mixed with a country flair,and using black or green as your primary accent color.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Does that mean caveman style????????

Like picking up a hammer and saw?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Good description Angelblossom.. I am not very good with words. blush

I really thought there would be more who knew what I meant. I think I will maybe take pictures when I am finished as well! So everyone can kind of see what I was going for. IF it turns out the way I want it to that is.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Dirt floor with dried animal droppings and built in fire-pit. Rocks and boulders to sit on and use for tables, shelves and counters. And DON'T forget the chipped flint chopping blades, scrapers and knives!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I would suggest taking down the manmade kitchen cabinet doors and putting up doors made of three pieces of wood layed vertically with cross bars layed near the top and bottom. With little cracks between the slats so it looks old. Then maybe painting them a distressed silver gray so the wood looks very old. With maybe a black undercoat and the silver gray being a wash. Then you could go with an od green for your walls if you decide to get rid of the wall paper. For counters I would look into the concrete counter tops. For the floor i would again think about planking. There is some that is done with rope put between the planks. I saw it on an episode of "this old house". You say you have a small kitchen. Is there anyway you can hang a pot rack? That would be great with some cast iron pots and pans on it. Am I in the right ball park?

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Yes, i am probably right into primitive myself. I'm not sure what it means myself.
I do know my kitchen is certainly distressed.

Distrressed, now that is my kitchen...in distress haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
lol lol nono

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I look around and think...hummm...that needs to go in a cabnet, then I open one and a ton of stuff falls on my head...then I close the door and go sit down touched

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
You guys are so funny!

Thanks TK for your suggestions!! I liked some of your ideas, especially the one about the pot rack!! I am not sure if I could manage it with my kitchen though. Sadly. I have a ceiling fan above the kitchen table, or I could put it there. Hmm.. I wonder if I could do a wall mounted one somehow? That would be really nice.. and add the cast iron pots and pans like you said. =)

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Here are some I found on google,, It may give you some Ideas thumbup

wall mounted pot racks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image