Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#286809 Jun 22nd, 2009 at 04:55 PM
ninaB Offline OP
OP Offline
My jade plant (~2.5 feet) started too rot and I had to re-pot it (2 weeks ago). As a result I now have 2 large and 2 small jades with what used to be one big jade tree. After some research on internet I decided to keep all my jades outside (rain and all) and hope that they survive.

All jades started to grow healthy, reddish new leaves all over, but old leaves get "sun burn".

Questions:
1. Is it OK to keep jade outside with all that rain?
2. My jade is very warped, crooked and disfigured. When can I prune it and how much

I really do not want to loose my jade, but need help in making it strong, healthy and graceful.

Appreciate any help.
Nina (NJ)

ninaB #286937 Jun 23rd, 2009 at 06:58 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
what soil mix do you have them in? do the containers have drainage holes?

i wouldn't leave them outside in a spot where they get rained on...on a covered porch where they get some sun for most of the morning and up until 1 pm and then indirect light should be more than sufficient to get good growth (and avoid any more sunburn).

please post some pics of the one you want to do some pruning to.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #287498 Jun 28th, 2009 at 09:45 AM
ninaB Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Joclyn -

Thank you so much for the response. I already moved my plants to protect them from all-day son and the rain. Here are the pictures of my plants. As you see there are lots of new growth, but at the same time the plant looks very warped and sun-burned. Please give me your thoughts on what my next step should be.

my jade pictures

Greatly appreciate,
nina

Last edited by ninaB; Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
ninaB #287503 Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
oh!! it has a nice 'weeping' look!! i like it :) was it done as bonsai earlier in it's life?? either that or you've already cut off some branches.

anyhoo, i really like the general look it has!!

can't quite tell from the pic...the small piece in the front - is that a branch you've cut and planted or is it growing off the main trunk??

for the two top branches, the most i would do is cut them back to just even with the edge of the planter. you can plant the pieces you cut - i'd do them in a separate pot though. if that piece in front is a newly planted piece, i'd also move that to a different container...let the shape of the original plant shine through without any clutter. it really does have a beautiful shape.

not much you can do for the sunburn. it's normal for the leaves to redden up when in full sun (not all varieties do that, though). and with less sun, the red will eventually fade a bit, if not completely. the branch, itself is red, and that's a true burn (rather than just the usually coloration change) and i don't know if that will fade or not. shouldn't cause any damage/retardation to the health of and growth of the plant though.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #287597 Jun 28th, 2009 at 09:15 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I am not the expert on houseplants, but let me say that is a GREAT looking plant, bonsai or not.
I can only suggest 2 things, don't leave it in full sun, and don't overwater. I think joclyn said basically the same thing...the thing is that plants don't do well moved from gentle interior light to the blasting energy of the full sun.
What I wouldn't give to "adopt" that gorgeous thing...oh, and any parts you want to cut and transplant will be fine in either cactus potting soil or, something like 50% peat and 50% sand, or a soil with plenty of vermiculite...don't overdo it on water, let it dry out somewhat between waterings.

dave
ninaB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Dave and Joclyn -

I do like my jade, but probably the pictures are prettier then the plant :(
It is a bit lopsided. And some branches I call amputee, but it does have very vigorous growth all over. Every time I cut a branch or whet it drops/looses a branch (it does not do it any more) I would just stick it back in the same pot or in the water and then replant. I already have 5 jade pots (3 big and 2 small) and happily give any cuttings away if you lived lose by.

The soil is 1/2 cactus and 1/2 potting soil. I guess next time i will just use all cactus soil. I added more pictures so you can see all 5 plants.

Thanks
nina

my all jades

ninaB #287655 Jun 29th, 2009 at 01:26 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing those pictures.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,945
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image