Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#277940 May 2nd, 2009 at 10:55 AM
OP Offline
I have a Mophead Nikko Blue and I know I am not supposed to cut it back since it blooms on "old wood". So, I didn't but nothing is growing on the old wood, just new growth coming up from the bottom. It's kind of hard to see but there seem to be buds on the wood but nothing is happening. What am I doing wrong?

[img][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/claregirl/Hydrangia002.jpg[/img][/img]

Laughter is wine for the soul - Sean O'Casey
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I know that is waht everything I have read says, clare, but mine has not ever grown back on the old wood either. and last year I still got blooms---if it were me, I would leave it go for another few weeks at least and then when you are positive the old wood is dead then cut it back.---if it is dead ther is really no choice.

I am thinking I have not properly over-wintered mine. all I did was put dead leaves on the base of the plant---I have read where some have put leaves or some other type of insulative material up quite a way on their bush----

but an expeert I am not....

hopefully someone else will come along with some suggestions for you.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
I know that is waht everything I have read says, clare, but mine has not ever grown back on the old wood either. and last year I still got blooms---if it were me, I would leave it go for another few weeks at least and then when you are positive the old wood is dead then cut it back.---if it is dead ther is really no choice.

I am thinking I have not properly over-wintered mine. all I did was put dead leaves on the base of the plant---I have read where some have put leaves or some other type of insulative material up quite a way on their bush----

but an expeert I am not....

hopefully someone else will come along with some suggestions for you.

LOL You sound like me. Just muddeling along trying to do what everybody says but lost just the same. If nothing else JunieGirl, you made me feel better about not knowing what the heck I'm doing. Thanks.

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I am in the south so my world is different but my plant looks like yours for a while and then when I'm sure nothing is going to grow on the old stalk I cut it off. But wait a while because you might be surprised. I never cut them back right after they bloom unless part of it is obviously dead. I wait until it starts turning green again and when I cut it back I break off a little at a time making sure it's not green.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sheri, that is how I do it here in Illinois as well.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
OP Offline
WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO Guess what? I just checked it and some of the buds on the old wood are turning green. I guess I am just too impatient. But like you guys told me, I will wait and wait until I am sure. But now since I almost cut it back too soon, I'll probably wait until July. lol

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Don't you like the look of the plant with the old wood. I sort of like that stark presentation that's one reason I leave it for so long. Wish you could show us a picture.

OP Offline
It doesn't look that much different than the picture I already showed. The buds are down near the middle, very close to all the other buds coming up from the center. If the other ones up at the top do anything, I will take another picture. No problem.

And yes, the Hydrangea looks kind of like a modern art sculpture.

Last edited by claregirl; May 8th, 2009 at 05:36 AM.

OP Offline
Well guys, here it is. What do you think? You can see some leaves are coming up from branches that are almost below ground. Should I cut off the dead branches or wait a little longer? This is my first Hydrangia and I so afraid that I will do something wrong.

[Linked Image]

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
wait and let it completely fill in.

mine looks pretty similar to that at the moment.

it seems to be the normal thing for them to grow leaves from previous year growth that overwintered as well as put up new growth from the roots.

once you see the flower heads developing, is when it's safe to cut back anything that's not doing anything. even still, do short cuts so that you're sure you're only removing dead stuff.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
Thanks Joclyn. I really need this kind of help. You're a lifesaver.

i have a 8 yr old hydrange and its huge ill post a pic of it latet

OP Offline
Cool, Sent. I'd love to see it and you have to tell me in gory detail how you made it so huge.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
clare, you have gotten good advice here. the only thing i'd add is that time is what makes them big. i had one about 3 ft across at the roots. tried to remove it, just gave up and enjoyed it.

OP Offline
Well, I cut the dead sticks and it's all green. No blooming yet but then my panicle hydrangea hasn't either. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image