Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#288392 Jul 4th, 2009 at 12:02 PM
OP Offline
My tomatoes are in topsy turvy planters. They are doing fine, have produced tomatoes and even though they continue to bloom, they are not getting many new fruit.My patio gets so hot you cannot walk barefooted on it, it has been above 95 here for the last 3 weeks at least. Will this prevent my plants from producing, i added foil around my planter to keep it from getting so hot, i put up my umbrella to shade them in the late afternoon and the cups in the top allow for slower watering so it has time to absorb water and fertilizer.They were also a lot bigger but i cut them back as they were dragging the ground and getting fried. should i have not done that maybe tried to tie them up instead?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40139263@N06/3687267941/

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I know down here in TX my tomato plants don't set blooms when it gets too hot. and it got hot earlier then then norm this year,, I only got 4 tomatoes to eat before it got in the upper 90's and triple digits boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I wonder if that is why my tomatoes slowed down, diane? it is the heat that makes them stop putting out fruit? I was getting on average of 2 tomatoes a day up until 2 weeks ago. and now not a thing! even the small green ones don't want to grow bigger or turn red..... hmmm!

rockie, I've grown tomatoes for years and when the heat gets up there the bottom leaves always look pitiful. I don't worry about it too much as long as are still producing. I don't prune. I tie up once, once they get big and need support, but then if they are still falling over I don't do anymore with them. I let them go wild.

I'm sure you didn't do any damage by cutting. as long as the cuts were nice and clean.

Last edited by cricket; Jul 4th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #288460 Jul 4th, 2009 at 05:24 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
If I'm not mistaken-- and if I am,I know I will be corrected-- temperature IS a significant factor in the tomato life cycle. Reproductive organs-- flowers-- will not be produced if nighttime temps are consistently below 50 degrees, and there is an upper limit too (don't know what it is, but I'm guessing, based on experience, about 75-80). Again, I could be wrong, but as I recall it's nighttime temps that are critical for flower/fruit set.

I'd just ride the tide. As Cricket says, let them "go wild" and produce a lot of vegetative growth. When things cool down a bit, all of those vines will want to reproduce = make tomatoes!

I kept a daily record of my harvest last year, and I'm looking at the graph (I'm such a geek) right now. I peaked mid-August, but had just as big a peak early October. I'm in zone 6, and had a very late start. So offsetting for zone differences, I'd say don't worry!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #288461 Jul 4th, 2009 at 05:28 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Cricket not only did mine stop setting flowers it also started to die back, in the triple digits,
I cut off all the dead,, set it in the shade it only gets dappled afternoon sun and it has new leaves coming out,, I've not seen that before, so I'm going to baby it maybe I'll have tomatoes in the fall if I don't let it burn up! boohoo ( it's a potted beef steak)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Heat and humidity is a big issue. Humidity can cause clumping of pollen. Also some varieties are more sensitive to heat when it comes to setting. The general rule is temps need to be 90 or lower in the day and mid 60's or lower at night. With those temps most will set. I get some set on some varieties here in the heat. The one positive I have is low humidity usually. Also if you shake of brush the plants that helps. I try to twice a day. I usually do mine in the morning and evening. If the plants are wet of a morning from a dew ect don't touch them. This is all just my opinion. Jay

elkhwc #288594 Jul 5th, 2009 at 05:08 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Yes, rule of thumb is 90 is the upper limit for fruit to set, but that's a generalization. Some plants, even of the same variety, will continue to set at least some fruit beyond that, and some varieties are less affected. Some vareities have been bred to set in high tmeps. As Jay mentioned, though, humidity is a big factor too.
Take a pencil, a chopstick, or any other thin tool and just tap each blossom several times once or twice a day and you definitely will get at least a few more fruit than otherwise.
I believe the residual heat rising from the ground at night has a lot to do with impeding fruit set, because I've observed that 90 and 100 degree daytime temps early in the season allows more fruit set than later in the season, and it's my guess that this is because the ground is holding and radiating heat more as the summer goes by.

dave
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
So now we're talking to our plants AND taping the blossoms with a chopstick???? My husband already thinks I'm nuts.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
So now we're talking to our plants AND taping the blossoms with a chopstick???? My husband already thinks I'm nuts.

You think that's bad, I heard of one guy that rigged up an electric toothbrush 'vibrator' to shake the blossoms, and another guy uses the buzzer out of a cellphone to do the same! touched

dave
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
do you have their numbers? I'll ask for the plans. :wink:

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by peppereater

I believe the residual heat rising from the ground at night has a lot to do with impeding fruit set, because I've observed that 90 and 100 degree daytime temps early in the season allows more fruit set than later in the season, and it's my guess that this is because the ground is holding and radiating heat more as the summer goes by.

You agree with me!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #288730 Jul 6th, 2009 at 08:59 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
Originally Posted by peppereater

You agree with me!

(actually, I STOLE the idea from you! :wink:) lol

dave
Marica #288883 Jul 7th, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
If I'm not mistaken-- and if I am,I know I will be corrected-- temperature IS a significant factor in the tomato life cycle. Reproductive organs-- flowers-- will not be produced if nighttime temps are consistently below 50 degrees, and there is an upper limit too (don't know what it is, but I'm guessing, based on experience, about 75-80). Again, I could be wrong, but as I recall it's nighttime temps that are critical for flower/fruit set.

Yes!

Night time temperature above 75 degrees F will burn food reserve produced by the tomato plant during the day and abort the flowers.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
I agree with both of you. And that is another reason I think mulch really is important. Where I mulch heavily I have better fruit set. I have seen this several times. It is my opinion that the mulch keeps the soil some cooler and also radiates back less heat than bare ground. You also use less water. Jay

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image