Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I planted 112 corn seeds two nights ago. The first night about half of the seeds where dug up and gone. I replanted yesterday and last night the same thing happened. The hole is smalland the seed is carefully removed. I am going to replant again today but what should I do tonight? I don't know if it is a bird, squirrel or other little critter. This is making me crazy? I need advice.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Hard to say, could be a raccoon, possum, armadillo, perhaps even a squirrel, chipmunk or a late nite visiting crow. See if there are recognizable tracks, but...the only thing that occurs to me immediately, is to spray the area with "Mole-B-Gone" or any of the other castor oil repellents...that or trapping in a live trap.
Sounds like war.
Where are you?

dave
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Wow. I would be crying if this happened to me. I don't grow corn, but I wonder if there isn't some row cover you could use to cover the seeds until they germinate. (Assuming the thief is coming from above & not below.) Also, what about trying to scare whatever it is away with noise-maker type things (tin pie plate tied to stakes, etc.) Battery operated motion-detecting lights?

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Even a crow is so clever that rowcover would be only a slight annoyance, and raccoons are smart, too...
Your ideas, though, marica, reminded me that there is a motion activated sprinkler you can get that will only go off when it senses motion, pretty annoying to get sprayed with a jet of water when you're trying to snack!

dave
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I am.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
1k Posts
1k Posts
Same thing happened to my corn...planted a second time and they're all gone. Holes with broken seed showed up once in a while. I'm saying black birds...crows and sea gulls. Only thing I can't figure out is how can they eat every single corn.

A friend told me you have to bury every seed of corn so the birds don't know that they're there. Pick up every seed that falls by the way.

I'm sorry this happened to you too dream garden .... it's too late for me to replant ... but next year I'll make sure I do as my friend said.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
500 Posts
500 Posts
Don't know where you live but here the rats have a tunnel system that New York, Chicago, and San Fran would envy and they will eat all planted stuff that is why my husband plants everything in 5 gallon buckets. We also put small sized chicken wire around the buckets.
Just remember, with the way that humans are depleting animals natural habitats they eat all that they can find available to them.
And it doesn't have to be wild critters. My Duck and Goose cleaned out my banana peppers and grape tomatoes!! boohoo

Last edited by Memosa; Jul 6th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
If this is going on at night then you can leave out most of the birds but first.. look at how much damage and how much the dirt was moved. Small animals like mice and molds will leave very small little pcs. of the seed as they eat them topside and bigger animals will dig a bigger hole to get to the food.

I have this problem every year early in the season and my solution is to start looking for signs like mole holes or a cracks on the ground, if one is found drop some mice poison inside and add more as they eat it. Make sure you cover the area (a 5 gal. bucket works well)if you have pets.

To make sure I have all my bases coved (in case of a mice or two found my garden)I also dip my seeds over night in the same vegetable spray I'll be using for bugs later in the season. I always keep some exterior mice poison thru the summer just in case.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image