Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I live in Northern PA. We have had a LOT of rain this season and cool temperatures. My green and yellow beans have barely grown over the last month. They are turing a light green to yellow color. 5 days ago I applied a slow realise fertilizer something like 15-10-10 but they haven't changed much. Is there anything more I can do to help these plants or do you think I might still have time to plant new seeds? Thanks!

I have the same problem with my green and gold blend beans. I got two good pickings and now they are dying. I called around to some gardening centers and they said the usual; could be cut worms, aphids, chemistry, dry soil, etc. I tried fertilizer and it helped a little, but I am sure it isn't the soil. Everything else in my garden is growing like gangbusters. I have been watering every day for the last 10 days and I have a few new blooms but most of my plants died. I just replanted and I think there is plenty of time for more beans, especially this year. I heard it is expected to stay warm until october. I wish I had a better answer, but I am just as confused as you are. I live near Cleveland so pretty much the same climate.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
beans must form bacterial nodes on the roots which capture the nitrogen "inhaled" by the plant...this is a major source for the nitrogen that feeds the plant. Other plants rarely form this symbiotic rleationship, at least not to the same extent. I would try watering with a fish emulsion liquid fertilizer, and any true farm/agricultural supply will sell an "innoculant" which is live bacterial material that will attach to the roots and greatly enhance the ability of beans (and peas) to take up nitrogen. The yellow color leads me to believe nitrogen is the central problem, whereas with many vegetables, nitrogen could be the exact opposite of what a small, stunted fruit would require. Be careful to avoid heavy doses of synthetic fertilizers with peas or beans as it can destroy the delicate, live bacteria in your soil.

dave
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Western Penna here

I picked my first round of beans today.. They are one of the few veggies doing great for us.
The seeds spent 2 winters in my garage, I had forgotten and hubby found them.
SO I planted all . Beautiful..

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,896
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image